• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Verizon FiOS Triple Play (Telephone, Internet, TV)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I just upgraded my FiOS to Verizon's "triple play": telephone, internet and TV all on the one FiOS connection. In my case, I added the TV part to an existing telephone and internet. It is GREAT! The TV is crisp and clear; it makes the old cable picture look sick. And I got a speed bump from 15/2 to 20/5 in the process. AND, I saved over $30/month vs. FiOS for telephone and internet, and cable for TV. More goodies for less money. Ya gotta luv it!

If you live in the Dallas area, and you have access to FiOS, I would strongly recommend looking at this. I have had FiOS now for around two years or so, and have NEVER had a service disruption. It has been rock solid. That is why I finally took the plunge and added the TV. By contrast, my cable service has had numerous interruptions over this period of time.

Verizon FiOS = Good. I am one satisfied customer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Wish my area had fiber optics, my TV and Internet would be going straight to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Ugh...I want it to be here so bad. I have heard nothing but good about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I have the FIOS triple-play also. But I think I must have a bad set-top box. When I change between HD and non-HD channels, it sometimes takes 30-45 seconds or longer to find the channel I select. After turning my set on, it can take even longer - with a frozen picture on the screen until it comes to life... :Oops:

I do get great internet connections, though. Good thing I don't have to go through my set-top box :)

Noel

Reaction score
I'm waiting for Verizon to get in gear and complete the FiOS install. I have had the FiberOptic lines behind my house for a year now and still not service. SO FRUSTRATING!

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have the FIOS triple-play also. But I think I must have a bad set-top box. When I change between HD and non-HD channels, it sometimes takes 30-45 seconds or longer to find the channel I select. After turning my set on, it can take even longer - with a frozen picture on the screen until it comes to life... :Oops:

I do get great internet connections, though. Good thing I don't have to go through my set-top box :)

Noel

Hey Noel, I don't have HD, so I can't comment on whether what you are seeing there is normal or not. It is nice to know however that whenever I do decide to shell out for an HD set, I can upgrade my FiOS TV to HD right away, and for a very small fee - something like $10/month or some such as I recall.

Reaction score
Aww, you're so lucky. I wish I could get FIOS. The cable connection here really blows. It's worse than DSL. Anyways, congrats. A buddy of mine has it and loves it. Talk about fast....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
did you get the free tv deal with it? they might have ended the free tv promo...but ifyou are signed up to get the free tv...good luck with that

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hey Noel, I don't have HD, so I can't comment on whether what you are seeing there is normal or not. It is nice to know however that whenever I do decide to shell out for an HD set, I can upgrade my FiOS TV to HD right away, and for a very small fee - something like $10/month or some such as I recall.

It could be his TV set too - I noticed that mine takes some time to switch resolutions.

I'm still stuck on Comcast. In my area, Verizon is very slowly rolling FIOS, but nowhere near my neighborhood. I just sold a house 3 years ago, and during the selling process, Verizon came through and tore up my front yard and laid fiber for FiOS... had I stayed there, I'd be a happy camper now. But now that I'm a little farther outside of the beaten path, my choices are limited to DSL (yech!) or Comcast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

Mac57,

When you're ready to buy that HDTV, you'll want to call Verizon and upgrade your set top box to HD. The regular box doesn't cover HD. I think for the HD w/DVR set top box I'm paying an additional $12 a month.

cwa107,

you're right, it could be the TV, but I never had that happen with Comcast, and some others have told me it was probably the set top box. I plan to try to get it changed and see if that helps. I do like the picture, though, although on our 30 inch set, I don't perceive any difference from the Comcast picture...

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.