• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple denies student deal rebate?!

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I actually just received my ipod touch in the mail today, so the first thing I did was go to the apple site to redeem my rebate for $299.

I punched in my info and BOOM, Apple claims my purchase does not qualify for any rebates. I purchased an mbp in the same order as the touch, and the mbp was discounted by 200 bux, so...

Has this happened to anyone else? I filed a claim and explained that I should be getting a rebate, and hopefully they will give it to me, because I'm supposed to get it.

I'm just a bit worried because I don't want to be stuck with a 300 dollar piece of technology that I wouldn't have purchased otherwise!

arg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I hate to ask somewhat of an insulting question, but are you actually a student?

OP
M
Reaction score
yep. I attend the University of Chicago. I used my school email address when I purchased it. The only thing is, I used my father's credit card (which I explained in my claim). I would have used my own, except...I don't have one.

also, its not like apple said "hey, you're not a student so you're not getting 200 dollars off your laptop." so I think it might just be a glitch in the system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Yeah, I would check with Apple to see why. I'm sure they'll honor it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
It may be because it was a different name on the card and the rebate and it denied through the automated system. I'm sure they will honor it when a human reads it and makes the connection. Good luck!

OP
M
Reaction score
well what i did was when I went to redeem thee rebate I used the billing info (my dad) rather than shipping info (me). But, they should get back to me within 5, days I'll see pretty soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Do you need a student ID with the order maybe?

OP
M
Reaction score
nah, i don't think so. It never asked for an ID number. I hope they don't because I don't have an ID yet (I'm an incoming freshman, and orientation starts sep 20). I mean, they only way I could have a uchicago.edu email is if I'm enrolled so that should be enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Did you enter the Web order ID exactly as it appears on your receipt? I did mine and it went right thru and had my rebate in 4 days without having to show anything. You just have to make sure to use the same apple ID and web order ID that was used to purchase it online - that is if you purchased it thru the apple online store anyway.

OP
M
Reaction score
yea that is exactly what i did. I thought maybe I had two web order numbers since the laptop and touch are coming at different times, but i only have one.

oh snap, I think I know why it didn't work. I live in Connecticut and apparently our rebates are instant!!! So when I went to file it, it had already been done, which is why it said I don't qualify for anything.

Wow, I feel dumb, lol. Hopefully when Apple answers, that is what they will say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
yea that is exactly what i did. I thought maybe I had two web order numbers since the laptop and touch are coming at different times, but i only have one.

oh snap, I think I know why it didn't work. I live in Connecticut and apparently our rebates are instant!!! So when I went to file it, it had already been done, which is why it said I don't qualify for anything.

Wow, I feel dumb, lol. Hopefully when Apple answers, that is what they will say.
The Apple promo page has a direct link for more information on it:
Apple "Back to School" iPod Promo Page said:
Note: Residents of Connecticut and Rhode Island, please read additional terms and conditions.

http://www.apple.com/backtoschool/

OP
M
Reaction score
yep, that is exactly what I realized. So does this mean that the $299 is credited back to the card, or will i receive a check in the mail?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.