Using usb-ethernet adapter to share connection at work ?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help me with this query. ( sorry for the lack of technical terms)

Im using my macbook at work, but as it is at the moment I cant simply plug into the ethernet port and use the internet like we can with company laptops.

I was wondering if my workaround would work in theory, my PC at work only has 1 ethernet port, but if I was to get a USB to ethernet adapter, would I then be able to plug my macbook into my PC and "share" the connection? or would whatever firewall/filtering IT have still block it.

If this would work, then the next thing I was thinking is to use my Airport express with this method, and use macbook wirelessly in the office.

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know what constraints you're under regarding using a personal machine at work and your employer's internet connection. That said, if you do have permission - it might be easier to hook up a wireless router and share the connection that way. Connecting your Mac via a USB ethernet adaptor isn't going to work especially if the PCs are fire walled and\or the connection is through a proxy.

Besides, most IT folks get upset when someone starts to mess with the way the system has been setup. ;)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.