airport extreme going idle

Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and new to netwroking so please forgive any stupidity that doesn't make you laugh.
i have set up a wireless network at a camp in the hills of Texas. i have one airport extreme directly connected to the dsl modem and labeled main base station. the next airport extreme is connected through wds to the main base station and labeled relay antenna, it is connected through a cable to a 1 watt transmitter to a 15db omni antenna 30 ft off the ground. it is configured in the wds as a relay base station. i then have a third base station 2500 ft away at my house. this is wds config as a remote base station. After several tries i get the entire system working.
Then as in last night. I use the internet through this connection, and in the morning, the relay antenna base station is in some dormant state. the only way to recover is to restart the unit through the power cord. even when it is in this dormant state i see the red flashing led on the transmitter indicating that something is being sent to the transmitter.

once i reset the relay antenna base station, the system come back up and works fine for an undetermined amount of time then bleeps out again.

i have tried stting this up through dhcp and manual address assignments, adjusting the dhcp lease to 365 days, and calling all three based stations different networks, and changing channels, and changing addressing to 175....

Is there something i am missing here?

do i need to connect only to an external antenna through the external port, and how do i get a signal to the transmitter through that port?

Thanks for any input!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.