• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Should I just dump this iBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Hey guys,
I made the switch from PC to Apple in January and I have a 700MHz eMac, a 1.67 GHz 15" Powerbook G4, and a 400MHz 15" Powerbook G4. I was wondering if you guys could help clear my mind here because I'm completely torn!
I won the 400MHz Powerbook on ebay a couple of weeks ago for $200. The laptop came with a fresh install of Tiger and Microsoft Office 2007. The downside was there were two thin vertical lines on the far right hand side of the screen and even with 768MB of RAM, it couldn't play my beloved Star Trek shows on Hulu.com. I decided it would be useless to keep such a laptop that couldn't even play movies online so I sold it on ebay on Friday for $240. I then proceeded to buy a 12" 600MHz iBook G3 on ebay. However I am starting to regret my decision. Did I really do the right thing? I mean this laptop will be my school computer and I only want it to surf the web, watch videos online, and do schoolwork. Somehow I believe the 400MHz was the better option since it already came equipped with Microsoft Word. I guess what I'm trying to say is even if I max out the iBook's ram, is it even going to be able to be capable of watching videos online without it lagging horribly? My eMac can, but only after I upgraded it to 1GB of ram which makes me wonder if this iBook can...Should I just say screw it, paint it a custom colour and re-sell it on ebay as soon as I get it? I could always just get a G4 Titanium 667MHz and max out the RAM to 1GB. I can't take my 1.67 to school because heavens forbid it ever got stolen-This 1.67 is mint like it came right out of the box. I don't even want to take the risk with losing it. So the question is, should I just dump the iBook as soon as I get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I had a iBook G3/800 and it did not really play video at all.It surfed the net pretty good... I kind of regret selling it.

OP
xj6jaguar1985
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2
Well I picked up a perfectly functional Powerbook G4 667 MHz 15" laptop...That should do the job of watching videos online once I upgrade the RAM to 1GB, right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I would not buy a titanium,you can get an Aluminum for about $450

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
Well I picked up a perfectly functional Powerbook G4 667 MHz 15" laptop...That should do the job of watching videos online once I upgrade the RAM to 1GB, right?

I used to have a 667mhz TiBook.. It rocked! It will most definitely fit your needs. I honestly miss mine. Stupid ex-gf's don't know how to take care of expensive things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I think a lot of people underestimate how much CPU power it takes to watch online streaming TV shows. abc.com streams Lost and other programs in HD, and requires a 2ghz Core Duo (the 1.83ghz doesn't go all the way to full quality, although still looks very good).

Hulu.com is a bit vague about system requirements, but mentions that its videos are encoded in h.264 @ 480kbps, 700kbps or 1,000 kbps and I am pretty sure this is well beyond the capacity of even an 800mhz G3 - we're talking about the latest streaming technology and a 6 year old notebook.

Maxing out the RAM won't help here either, it's just RAW CPU power I am afraid. Your 1.67ghz G4 should be ok, as long as you're not watching in 720p, but a G3 won't cut it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.