I'm overwhelmed

M

matoo

I am new to the Mac world and need to go wireless.
My cable modem has to stay in my living room, but I want the mac in the spare bedroom/office. When I bought my G5 iMac I had the airport card installed, now I guess I need a router?
I tried looking around, and the Apple Airport extreme base is a bit pricey, do I need that or can I go a cheaper route that will still work for me?
I only have the one computer I need to hook up. What should I be looking for? What brands are good? What will be easy for a noob like me?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give in advance.

Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
get a wireless router, its just as good. Linksys and netgear are really great brands, theyre also fairly inexpensive, just make sure what you get is 802.11b and g compatible, and at least 54mbps, and if/when you get it set up, always use wep so your neighbors arent using your connection.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I'm using a D-Link wireless router that hasn't given me a bit of trouble. You can pick up a good brand for around $50. The day after Thanksgiving, Circuit City had a Belkin for something like $8-10 AR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
amazon has a netgear one for sale for 7 dollars after rebate....i saw the thread here like last week...just search for it
-chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.