Can I use the iPhone 3G's internet for my Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4ghz/2g/200hdd
So I'm trying to get 1st place for longest thread title in this subsection.... I travel alot and this would be killer if I can use it this way.... anyone know?

Thanks,
Bear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
Whats does
"So I'm trying to get 1st place for longest thread title in this subsection...."
have to do with it...?

Anyway, no you can't, the process is called tethering, and it can't be done with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
And that's one thing that HTC has over Apple... With the HTC Touch you can tether it... :)

Reaction score
Why can't the iPHONE do what is pretty standard among phones today

With AT&T the iPhone needs unlimited internet on the data plan. So why not make the phone convenient like many other data phones and make it able to tether to a PC or Mac. Phones have been able to do this for years now. It is very convenient to be able to have this capability. Now yes there is a way to do it, but Apple customer support told me that it will void what little warranty the phone has. I have one of the most advanced phones that isn't programmed to do something simple, standard and help me get more out of my wireless service. Thanks Apple :Shouting:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
With AT&T the iPhone needs unlimited internet on the data plan. So why not make the phone convenient like many other data phones and make it able to tether to a PC or Mac. Phones have been able to do this for years now. It is very convenient to be able to have this capability. Now yes there is a way to do it, but Apple customer support told me that it will void what little warranty the phone has. I have one of the most advanced phones that isn't programmed to do something simple, standard and help me get more out of my wireless service. Thanks Apple :Shouting:

AT&T doesn't allow tethering on the iPhone. So your bashing the wrong company. :|

Reaction score
Currently no there is not. under the grapevine its "supposed" to be a new feature for 3.0. ATT is also thinking about adding a new iPhone plan. Some say it'll be cheaper but i think if they allow tethering then that would be the unlimited + tethering ($60).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" Macbook 2GHz/iPod Classic Black 80GB/iPhone 4 32GB/iPad2 WiFi 16GB
I was reading Mac Monthly (or what ever one of the Mac magazines are called) and it had a 3.0 preview, and it said that you will be able to tether with 3.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 200GB HD,Nvidia 256 DDR3 graphics, 6GB RAM
AT&T doesn't allow tethering on the iPhone. So your bashing the wrong company. :|

AT&T does allow it for other smart phones. i don't understand what the difference is between doing it on the iphone and doing it on another smart phone..

To be honest i still carry my HTC around with me and just switch the sim card when i need to tether my mac :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
AT&T does allow it for other smart phones. i don't understand what the difference is between doing it on the iphone and doing it on another smart phone..

Never said they didn't allow it for other smart phones. Not sure what the difference is either.

It is rumored to be a new feature eventually though.

Reaction score
smart phones to get tethering they have to pay $60. 30 for unlimited internet, and 30 for tethering. IF tethering comes to the iPhone i can the $60 tethering plan coming. ATTM said they were adding a "iPhone" data plan, and I willing to bet that is it, but rumorville hopes it will be a cheaper than $30 plan.

Reaction score
you can do it if you have a jailbroken device but if you do , be carefull as providers don't like it at all and might charge you if they found out

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.