Need help setting up a ftp server

R

rosx

Hi I am new to the forums. I am setting up a ftp server and need help. There is a way to do it to. My friend has a windows box and has done it. Any way I have adelphia cable internet and would like to share files. I have 280 Gb of storage on my G5 and all I do is check my mail. So I will like anyone that can help get this thing running. I am running Mac os 10.3.6 and have a address from no-ip.com. But the address they give me dose not work. I can connect to files from my mac to my mac, but no one can connect from the internet to my mac. I want to share files with people. Maybe even run a web server off my computer if i can get this to work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook
rosx said:
Hi I am new to the forums. I am setting up a ftp server and need help. There is a way to do it to. My friend has a windows box and has done it. Any way I have adelphia cable internet and would like to share files. I have 280 Gb of storage on my G5 and all I do is check my mail. So I will like anyone that can help get this thing running. I am running Mac os 10.3.6 and have a address from no-ip.com. But the address they give me dose not work. I can connect to files from my mac to my mac, but no one can connect from the internet to my mac. I want to share files with people. Maybe even run a web server off my computer if i can get this to work.

It's really easy, provided you have a fixed ip address. I tried using no-ip once and got confused, but I'm sure with a little bit of time and reading (I'm too impatient) you'll figure out how to get no-ip to work.

As far as setting up the mac goes, you simply have to go into systems preferences>sharing and check the Personal Web Sharing and FTP Access options. Near the bottom of the pane it will display the addresses from which you can access the newly activated services.

If you click on the Firewall button, also in this preference pane, you will find the port numbers from which these sevices are being accessed from. These are usefull if you are connecting to the internet via a router or server. You will need to change the server settings so that external access to your real ip address get redirected to your local ip address through the corresponding port numbers.

Not sure how much you know about all this so I'm not going to patronise you with simplified explanations, but if you do need explanations, just ask.

Sorry if this has just confused matters more, but I hope it helps a little.

^_^

OP
R

rosx

I have abled the selected services I want in the sharring control pannel. Now what would you do. Also have now downloaded pure ftpd to give that a try. How do people on the internet find me. By my ip address? please help me some more. Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rosx said:
I have abled the selected services I want in the sharring control pannel. Now what would you do. Also have now downloaded pure ftpd to give that a try. How do people on the internet find me. By my ip address? please help me some more. Thank you

If you click on Personal Web Sharing option in the Sharing Preference Pane, at the bottom will be the address people will have to enter into their web browser so see your site. Your HTML and website files should be put into the 'Site' folder which is in your home directory replace the "index.html' with your own or people will see the default OS X homepage that's already in there. The address will be "http://your.ip.address/~home/" home being whatever your username is.

If you buy a cheap domain name you simply set it up so that it points to your address as you'll be using your Mac as the webserver.

As far as FTP goes, using an ftp client (I use transmit, it's brilliant) you type in your IP address and then log in using your personal login details, or you can set up a guest user and log in using those details. Don't forget to check the Windows Sharing option if you want to access your machine from a Windows PC.

OP
R

rosx

I have done the things mentioned so far. So I gave the address to my neighbor to give it a try. but with my luck it dose not work yet. it brings up a box saying page could not be found or displayed. The desired server may be offline. I do have cable internet, with a external modem. I found the Ip address for the modem is there something else I should maybe do. I am only trying to host a ftp server at this point. If it makes any difference I am running 10.3.6. Any more help would be thanked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any version of 10.3 is fine. It could be that your cable internet provider uses not-static ip allocation, which changes frequently. In this case you'll need to configure your no-ip account. That's something I have no idea about.

Sorry I couldn't be any more helpful, maybe someone that does know will reply to this thread. :)

OP
F

funky

- Go to http://whatismyip.com
- Make sure thats the IP you give to your friend. :)

http://youriphere/ should display a test page.
http://youriphere/~username should show your files. :)

If not, then your firewall is blocking port 80 for webpages. If FTP doesnt work, your firewall is blocking port 21, most likely.

Good luck. I can't get FTP working either, someone please read my thread, I have detailed information. Please help me. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.