• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Who/what is your stock broker?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
For those of you, like myself, who 'play' the stock market, I was just curious on what kind of brokerage firm you used... I have a friend who is my private broker, I've never used anything like TD Ameritrade or E*Trade.

So, what do you others use and do you like it?

Just on a side note, I have been watching Microsoft's share prices here lately and they are staying pretty steady and are low, might be a good time to pick a few shares up and hope they go up this year during January like they did last year.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I use Scottrade, mainly because of the low trade fees, but loking back on it right now I think that I should have gone with E-Trade, because I have heard a lot of good things about them, and they have over sea trading.. But Scottrade isn't bad though.. I don't like MSFT ( more than because of the company) because their stocks pretty much stay even, and I wouldn't pick them up right now because they stopped selling XP and their sales will go down because of it, I know at least 10 people who switched from Vista to Leopard because they could no longer stand Vista.. but that is just my 2 cents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I too use Scotttade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Another vote for Scottrade. Have been using it for years.

OP
INTELligent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
Whoa! A lotta Scottrade users... :)

I might do that since you guys seem to use it so much...

Have you guys seen nVidia stock lately? It's around $12.49/share... And according to a 1yr. chart I have on my iPod, it jumped above ~$30/share in the Fall last year. I might take around 100 shares and hope I could pull a bit of profit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Zecco. 4.50 a trade, free trades for accounts over $2500.

Been using them for over a year now :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Dual 2.8 GHz Quad Core Processors, 2 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, 1.5 TB of storage.
I use Vanguard, I don't play the market with individual stocks. I stick to playing the market as a whole. I can't predict the future so I play the average return instead of guessing who will have a good year.

OP
INTELligent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
I use Vanguard, I don't play the market with individual stocks. I stick to playing the market as a whole. I can't predict the future so I play the average return instead of guessing who will have a good year.

You're missing all the fun.... :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
The way the stock market is right now, having NO broker is probably safer. It is a tough time out there right now. Stay away for a while at least, until things turn around. Thats my advice anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
The way the stock market is right now, having NO broker is probably safer. It is a tough time out there right now. Stay away for a while at least, until things turn around. Thats my advice anyway.

Or you could invest while the market is down... :p

Depends on your stomach, I guess.

OP
INTELligent
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini

I like it like this and I cannot wait until it starts to kick out of our "Economic Recession." In this recession, if you pay attention, you can kinda spot the companies that are going to soar ahead when things 'boom' again. Of course, keep your eyes on Walmart and Target stock, try to watch DJI as well...

And, I had to realize when I first started that I wasn't going to make money off of every investment. I had to balance my amounts, if I was +$450 in one place and -$210 in another place, I still made $240.

I am already watching a company that's getting ready to make their IPO, I guess you would call it an IPO. I will definitely put some money on them, they are going to fly high, so I hope :p.

Reaction score
I use Firstrade. They offer free DRIPs. Dividend reinvestment is the way to go for long run returns.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.