• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

YouTube throws users "to the wolves"...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
I read about this today.

What a load of crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4 - 4GB RAM, Logitech S530 Kbrd/Mouse, Logitech Z2300 Speakers
Its not YouTube's fault, blame it on Viacom and the Courts. Either I don't think this is out of the court system yet. I figure an appeal will be coming shortly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
So according to FCC laws, it's illegal for me to disclose certain pieces of information regarding peoples' accounts, even if it's their account and they do in fact verify themselves..

But this huge conglomerate can come in and basically say that they want user info, which is private data?

Come on.. Let's just say I'm no longer going to visit YouTube anymore, and I no longer have an account there as well.

To add to that, I've had to change my phone number 3 times in the past 6 months because I had telemarketers and unknown people calling my CELL phone. Even after less than a week of changing it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No, but a judge can invalidate our privacy rights in a single stroke.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Best thing is, keep it clean, and you will have nothing to fear. They look and find nothing, they can do nothing. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
They can look at my account all they want. All their going to find is a screen name, a bogus email address I only use for sites like youtube, and some random favorites of videos people have made. I hope they enjoy all of that valuable information.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Not the point.

Sooo not the point. I'm not doing anything wrong, but that doesn't mean it's ok for someone else to know that. Our right to privacy... it's just dissipating, little by little.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
the right to privacy is and has always been an illusion.

it's really only recently that we've started tho think we could have some. historically, it's an anomaly.

this isn't surprising, really.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
the right to privacy is and has always been an illusion.

it's really only recently that we've started tho think we could have some. historically, it's an anomaly.

this isn't surprising, really.

THANK YOU!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not the point.

In this day and age, it is the point. You have no real privacy in life. It was given up for safety, and a safer environment. Oh, and once you gave it up, you can't get it back. ;)

*Sub-note*

You are watched everyday in this life. From tracking programs on-line to cameras watching you drive down the street, to security cameras watching you in stores and what you buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
In this day and age, it is the point. You have no real privacy in life. It was given up for safety, and a safer environment. Oh, and once you gave it up, you can't get it back. ;)

*Sub-note*

You are watched everyday in this life. From tracking programs on-line to cameras watching you drive down the street, to security cameras watching you in stores and what you buy.

I am looking for this joint article written by two sociology and political science professors that basically destroys the whole "if you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear" argument. Would you read it if I found it?

Plus, surveillance doesn't exactly equal a safer environment. You can't equate these two things because correlation is not causation, the number one rule of all social science study.

Reaction score
Does even a judge have the right to do this? Surely YouTube holds data on users from all over the world and each country has their own data protection laws - is the grounds for this because the server where the data is being stored is in the US?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
That's just like the government for ya, one minute you're in the most free nation in the world and the

HEY! LET GO OF ME!

I didn't do anything wrong! I was just voicing my opinion!

HEY! LET G-

Sorry folks, this is Agent Visnaw from the FBI. Derek here was attempting to share his opinion in a public forum.

You don't have to worry about those kind of shenannigans anymore.

Have a great, safe day!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
That's just like the government for ya, one minute you're in the most free nation in the world and the

HEY! LET GO OF ME!

I didn't do anything wrong! I was just voicing my opinion!

HEY! LET G-

Sorry folks, this is Agent Visnaw from the FBI. Derek here was attempting to share his opinion in a public forum.

You don't have to worry about those kind of shenannigans anymore.

Have a great, safe day!

LMFAO!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Does even a judge have the right to do this? Surely YouTube holds data on users from all over the world and each country has their own data protection laws - is the grounds for this because the server where the data is being stored is in the US?
All it takes is a court order. So yes, a judge has every right to do this.

BTW, I've had the FBI show up at my house for something the previous occupants had 'supposedly' (and I say supposedly because they were cleared of the charges too) done at 6am with guns drawn, snipers, the whole bit. So, the whole 'keep it clean and you have nothing to worry about'.. as much a myth as digital privacy is.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

*Sub-note*

Actually, much it has been willingly given up for convenience, consumer greed and corporate greed. Want that 1Tb Hard Drive for $99? Just put your credit card number and address in your computer and we will ship it to you. Guess what, now someone can put your name and address with an IP address. All it takes is someone greedy enough to want the data and there is gold-mine of opportunity. Everybody wants to have fun and do what they want without thought to the consequences or how their actions may impact others or themselves. This issue is hugely pervasive in our society and isn't going to go away anytime soon.

I blame the consumer just as much as I blame YouTube or Viacom in cases like this. The Internet has never really been private, it is the illusion of anonymity that makes people believe they have privacy. We have willingly co-opted ourselves without caring about it as long as we got what we wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am looking for this joint article written by two sociology and political science professors that basically destroys the whole "if you do nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear" argument. Would you read it if I found it?

Plus, surveillance doesn't exactly equal a safer environment. You can't equate these two things because correlation is not causation, the number one rule of all social science study.

Actually, the post about security, was a jab at the government that says they do what they do, in the name of safety. ;)

Edit- @baggss

In this day and time, it is difficult to walk into a store, choose an item, and plunk down cold hard cash for it, give no info including Zip code, and leave. If there are people out there that do this, I would like to meet them. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.