PDA

View Full Version : Macbook vs HP DV9340

iMoo
07-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post in here! I someone can help me!

I've been wanting to convince myself to buy a macbook, I love mac but never owned one (I do have a iPod Touch). It doesn't help that Vista has become such a shambles and all I ever here is that mac is so much better.

Currently - I have a HP DV9340ea (bought it Apr 2007) and I'm becoming very impatient with it due to faults and ridiculous heat that burns your legs.

Could someone please advise me on what model (not macbook pro) would be faster, or similar to what I have now?

Specs for my HP:

Microprocessor 1.66 GHz Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T5500
Memory 2048 MB (2x 1024 MB) Level 2 cache 2 MB
Memory Max Up to 2 GB DDR2
Video Graphics NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7600
Video Memory 256 MB (dedicated)
Hard Drive 160 GB (5400 rpm)
Multimedia Drive Lightscribe Super Multi DVD Writer (+/-R +/-RW) with Double Layer support
Display 17" WXGA+ High Definition BrightView Widescreen (1440 x 900)

As I've never had a mac and don't know the difference between a mac processor vs other etc...

Could someone advise me for example whether the most basic macbook can compete with these specs and what would be better. Please note that this laptop cost me around £1,200 at the time (ouch).

I don't design much anymore i.e flash, photoshop or play sims 2 but wouldn't mind another game of that on a little 13' mac if possible lol!

Finally...a big sorry for such a long post (especially a first time post but really hope someone can help)

Thank you very much :D

hexonxonx
07-03-2008, 04:43 PM
All Macs have Intel processors in them now so the Hp and the MacBook basically run the same processor brand.

The low end MacBook is going to have only 1GB ram, smaller HD, 144MB SDRAM shared video memory but the processor is a 2.1GHZ. I'm not sure if you would be better off upgrading to a Mac other that the main reason to be using OS X.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a HP DV6700 with 1.88GHZ processor, 4GB ram, 320GB HD, 500MB dedicated video ram and the same DVD writer as you have. I can't tell the difference in speed between it and my black MacBook 2.4GHZ.

I think it will just come down to what do you want to run, Windows or MAC OSX. I prefer to use both still so I have both.

iMoo
07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
So if I were to go with the 2.4Ghz macbook with 2Gb I'm presuming it will be far more efficient than what I've got now. Like I say, I stopped designing and concentrating on a little programming here and there with dreamweaver and that's about it. I would be happy to sacrifice not being able to play sims 2 to have a macbook, just want to make the right choice!

I could push to upgrade to 4Gb, now is that worth the additional £120? Again, comparing to what I've already got.

Thanks for your help

Noels
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
hexonxonx,

Why don't you install Windows in your Macbook and then you'd only have to deal with a single laptop?

And iMoo, you could do the same with a Macbook, have your cake and eat it, too... specs for the Macbook are similar to yours in some aspects. Mine is 2.2 GHz CPU, 1 GB RAM (which I upgraded to 4GB), hard drive 120GB but I upgraded to 320GB (you can upgrade it yourself with a Macbook), CD/DVD slot reader/writer, 13.3 inch screen, weight about 5 pounds. The video has less memory, so you would game slower...

Don't pay Apple for either RAM or HDD upgrade - you can buy and install yourself...

I have XP running on my Macbook and I've got in in a VM, Parallels, so i can have both XP and OS X in use at the same time, and on the same desktop. It's a fabulous feature of the newer Macs with Intel CPUs... You gotta love it!

Go for it... Noel

iMoo
07-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Cheers Noel - you've been a great help! I'm just worried in making the same mistake as last year when I got my HP laptop! Vista really sucks in my opinion and I've heard nothing but great news about macbooks!

There's something about mac that just makes you think OOOOH! The designers in work all have the newest iMacs with their 24' screens! Their SO nice! Might have to break in at night and steal one lol!

hexonxonx
07-03-2008, 06:39 PM
hexonxonx,

Why don't you install Windows in your Macbook and then you'd only have to deal with a single laptop?

I have a MB and an iMac that are setup to dual boot but it's inconvenient to have to save things and then boot up to Windows.

I know that I could use a program to run Windows programs at the same time but I would rather have both machines running at the same time.

the8thark
07-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Ah yes but transferring files from the PC to the Mac would require a USB, cd or some Lan set up. So more hardware needed. But you can do it all internally with the mac running Windows and OS X. And also you'd only have to buy one machine.

So in your eyes why do you really need to have both machines (PC and Mac) running side by side at the same time?

hexonxonx
07-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Ah yes but transferring files from the PC to the Mac would require a USB, cd or some Lan set up. So more hardware needed. But you can do it all internally with the mac running Windows and OS X. And also you'd only have to buy one machine.

So in your eyes why do you really need to have both machines (PC and Mac) running side by side at the same time?

Again, it's just plain convenience. Anything I need to transfer, I do so with a WD passport. Been doing it this way for years between computers and it's never been a problem.

Rambaud
07-05-2008, 04:41 AM
I paid ~ £60 for 2 x 2Gb RAM, and ~ £65 for a 320Gb (5400 rpm) hard drive a few days ago for my new macbook (which is replacing an earlier model).

Thinking about buying a 320Gb (7200 rpm), but it's £115. :(

Postoak
07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Hi all,

This is my first post in here! I someone can help me!

I've been wanting to convince myself to buy a macbook, I love mac but never owned one (I do have a iPod Touch). It doesn't help that Vista has become such a shambles and all I ever here is that mac is so much better.

My friend bought a HP with Vista about the same time you did last year. I thought she was going to throw it against the wall. In June I got this iMac 20" because of what I saw had happened to Windows Vista. I wouldn't have anything with Windows at all now. I just last month bought my grand daughter a new MacBook 13.3" with the 2 Gb Ram and 160 Gb HD and she wouldn't have been more pleased with a new car... well that might be pushing it a bit! She loves it as much as I love this old iMac, and you will feel the same I'm sure.

iMoo
07-12-2008, 10:39 AM
@Postoak

Thanks for that. I think I will get one real soon! The sooner the better as I'm sick off burning legs from the heat of this HP and vista doesn't help as it eats away at all RAM possible making things really slow!

Thanks again everyone!