Bootcamp - Copy to windows hd from mac os

Reaction score
Hello everyone

Ive installed windows vista 32-bit using bootcamp on a partitioned drive, the drive windows sits on is 50gb NTSF, which had to be formatted due to being over 32gb.

I only use windows for games the mac can't play, which currently is most.

However my problem comes in the form of what i believe to be compatability, i am unable to copy anything to my Windows hd from my mac os. I prefer using mac to do my general day to day work and have downloads going in the background which i can then transfer over the windows if i need to, however when my downloads are <4gb im unable to transfer them over as i dont have an external hd, and im unable to copy them to the windows hd where i get a "cannot be modified" error.

Also i cannot see my mac os hd from windows for whatever reason.

Is there a way i can enable read and write to and from my windows hd from my mac, or vise versa?

Or perhaps someone could recommend some sort of wine software which would enable me to run windows games successfully. Recently ive run into a lot of graphical problems when trying to run things such as cod4 through crossover etc.

Any help would be great

Thanks in advanced

-Stil

Reaction score
I'm 99% sure this is a permissions issue.
If your Mac can see the Windows partition than you should be able to write to it. Try sharing the folder/drive on your windows machine, make sure the security permissions are also set to read/write (remember there are two sets of permissions in Windows security AND shared).

I have a Window 2008 server virtual machine running on my Mac and I can read/write to the windows file system no problem.

The other question about having your Windows box see your Mac partition I'm not to sure about, since Mac is using a different file system than NTFS or FAT it probably can't recognize it. That's just my guess, I haven't messed around with that. If the windows box was online AND the Mac was too, you could do a shared folder between the two no problem. But you are trying to see the drive at the partition level.

This is why I always vote for virtual machines versus an install, plus I think its silly to put windows on a mac in the first place but thats just me. I am a windows system admin by day so I keep a VM of 2008 server for testing that's about it.

If you have troubles with games (which you will) consider buying a PC (I'm sure I will get stoned for saying that here). News flash Mac's aren't perfect just like PC's aren't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Its not a permissions issue, OS X can only read an NTFS drive not write to it

Go to the macfuse site and download the package for your os

MacFUSE-Core-10.4-1.5.0.dmg for tiger
MacFUSE-Core-10.5-1.5.1.dmg for leopard

http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

additionally download the NTFS support from here

http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

this will allow write access to a NTFS drive

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all suggestions guys, cyberfed you inadvertedly helped me as im networking my pc with my mac as well at the moment, and finally managed to successfully do it after putting it off for a long time (i despise networking!).

Louishen, cheers for the links, got it all working now.

Big thanks to both of you

-Stil

Reaction score
Um...Louis...how come I can create and modify files on the C drive of my IBM laptop? using nothing more than smb?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Um...Louis...how come I can create and modify files on the C drive of my IBM laptop? using nothing more than smb?

Because when networking the file system is transparent.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.