iPhone 3G F.A.Q.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
With recently revealed information and questions regarding about what's going on with Apple and AT&T, I figured I'd take a moment and write out what I know, since some of us are in the "iPhone Generation".

There are two things about to happen that are related but separate. The iPhone software is about to get a major revision (2.0), and there's going to be a new hardware model called iPhone 3G.

Ignoring the new hardware for a moment, the new 2.0 software will be available to all existing iPhone customers. When you connect your iPhone to iTunes, you'll get the update. The main new thing will be the "App Store" where you can look for new applications and games to run on the iPhone, and there will be a lot of enhancements to existing features like the Mail client.

More info on this at: http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

Other than the new 2.0 software, nothing is changing for existing owners. We're still on the same rate plans, bills aren't going up, etc..

What's confusing some people is the new iPhone 3G, because the AT&T plans for the new 3G phone are different from what we have today. Basically, an iPhone 3G user will pay ten dollars more per month because the data plan cost is increased for them. Also, the iPhone 3G plan does not have any SMS text messages included. To get the same 200 messages per month original iPhone users have will cost another five dollars a month.
This is all explained at: http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/specials/iphone-info.jsp

So why would anyone want to switch from the original iPhone, to iPhone 3G, if you have to pay an extra $10-$15 dollars each month?

Two new major hardware enhancements are 3G data speeds and GPS.

The 3G data speed comes into play when you're using the internet, like web browsing or checking email, using the cell phone network. The original iPhone is sort of like a dial up modem, 3G is more like a broadband connection. If you normally use the internet by wi-fi spots, then this won't be of much use. Also, not all areas have 3G, and when 3G isn't available then you end up using the same EDGE network that is used today by the original iPhone.
Here's one article that talks about that:http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/10/list-of-cities-that-are-in-atandts-3g-coverage/

The GPS helps with location pinpointing. The original iPhone can determine location due to proximity to cell phone towers and wi-fi spots, the new 3G adds GPS to the mix.

Apple has some videos that shows the new iPhone 3G features. The guided tour is for people new to iPhone, there's also a "what's new" video. Just remember that the software changes are things current iPhone owners get too: http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

Then there is the cost to buy an iPhone 3G.

For those new to AT&T, they can get an 8GB model for $199 and a 16GB model for $299. That cost is also available for current AT&T owners that are eligible for an upgrade discount and existing iPhone users too. For AT&T people who don't have an iPhone and are not eligible for an upgrade, their cost would be $399 and $499. The normal costs for these without a contract will be $599 and $699. There's also an activation fee, $36 for new people, $18 for current AT&T customers.
http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/01/atandt-announces-iphone-3g-pricing-plans/

If an original iPhone user does upgrade to iPhone 3G, there are two things you could do with the original after you switch. First, you could keep it around. Apparently, it will still work for iPod features, etc, so it would basically turn into an iPod touch. Second, you could sell or give it away to someone else, and AT&T will keep the old rate plans around for that device, so the new user won't have to pay for the extra data costs.

If you're not confused by now, then I obviously didn't try hard enough...;P

Reaction score
not confusing at all its simple we the loyal apple users and followers are being fleeced. very simple and they say the economy in the US is bad..... The way At&t is charging you would think it is the DOT com boom again. they really should take a look and rethink adding SMS in again. Think about those who want the new Iphone but there is no 3G coverage. you are paying more for a service that is not in your area and then you being charged for SMS when the 1st Iphone owners et 200 for free I plan in upgrading simply for the speed but I fault At&t

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
People refer alot to "if you are eligible for an upgrade". What exactly are the requirements to be eligible for said upgrade.

OP
Soulwar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
People refer alot to "if you are eligible for an upgrade". What exactly are the requirements to be eligible for said upgrade.

View and print "Get iReady" checklist
What will I pay for iPhone 3G?
If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB.

Check upgrade eligibility

Reaction score

usually you need to have an account in good standing and been with them for over a year or more. being a customer of ATT for only 6 months does not qualify for an upgrade.

Reaction score
not confusing at all its simple we the loyal apple users and followers are being fleeced. very simple and they say the economy in the US is bad..... The way At&t is charging you would think it is the DOT com boom again. they really should take a look and rethink adding SMS in again. Think about those who want the new Iphone but there is no 3G coverage. you are paying more for a service that is not in your area and then you being charged for SMS when the 1st Iphone owners et 200 for free I plan in upgrading simply for the speed but I fault At&t

Im not sure why you are saying the loyal apple users are being fleeced. everyone pays the same, apple users are not being picked on or singled out.

im not sure why AT&T is charging more for SMS, SMS does not even use the 3G network, it uses the 2G network.

No need in anyone faulting AT&T for anything.....if people don't like their pricing plan (which is affected by contracts with apple) they can always do with out their service (AT&T) and their products (apple).

Reaction score
No need in anyone faulting AT&T for anything.....if people don't like their pricing plan (which is affected by contracts with apple) they can always do with out their service (AT&T) and their products (apple).

One Statement you say you dont understand why they charge more for SMS
Yet in the next you say there is no need to fault AT&T?

That like saying I dont understand why DOT does not fill all the pot holes in the road
Then saying dont Fault DOT if there are pot holes in the road just dont drive.

I am up in arms about being charged for the 200 SMS not the extra 10 dollars
Data Is data and a SMS is a heck of alot smaller then any web page you vist or email you send which is free of charge and for this yes we are being Taken Oh and for leaving the service thats a $175 per line to get out of contract. AT&T was second on the list of providers for a reason Verizon turned apple down so we are stuck with second best

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP unibody
I'm still a little hazy about the activation. I have been w/ AT&T since 2005, my most recent contract renewal (2 years) was Feb '07. According to my online account info w/ them, I will be eligible for an upgrade on Jul 15, next week. Sooo, does this mean I would have to pay the $399/$499 cost if I buy it right away on Friday? Or if I wait until the 15th I can get it for the $199/$299?

... I think I will just go to the AT&T store tomorrow and get the info directly from them!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, MB Air, Iphone
At&t???

That like saying I dont understand why DOT does not fill all the pot holes in the road

Data Is data and a SMS is a heck of alot smaller then any web page you vist or email you send which is free of charge and for this yes we are being Taken Oh and for leaving the service thats a $175 per line to get out of contract. AT&T was second on the list of providers for a reason Verizon turned apple down so we are stuck with second best[/QUOTE]
This IS true. AT&T doesn't have a 3G network, more like 3G Hotspots, few and far between. I hear all kinds of excuses that "They just started a year ago," They are covering all major metro areas first," and "we are going to add more places."
Why did they just start a year ago? And to build the network on the back of their customers? They're GSM, does AT&T sleep while Europe built their 3G network or sleep when Verizon built theirs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
This IS true. AT&T doesn't have a 3G network, more like 3G Hotspots, few and far between. I hear all kinds of excuses that "They just started a year ago," They are covering all major metro areas first," and "we are going to add more places."
Why did they just start a year ago? And to build the network on the back of their customers? They're GSM, does AT&T sleep while Europe built their 3G network or sleep when Verizon built theirs?

They went to Verizon first, and Verizon had the balls to turn 'em down? Now I feel like an absolute low, beyond low ***** for switching to AT&T from Verizon for the iPhone.

Reaction score
if people don't like their pricing plan (which is affected by contracts with apple) they can always do with out their service (AT&T) and their products (apple).

True, but why must there be such stark consequences? That's not what the free market is about. Where's the negotiation? This smacks of the company trying to control customer behavior -- which always backfires in the end. Apple should sell the hardware, and users should have the option of buying it subsidized (AT&T) or unsubsidized -- and not force the users into entangling and undesirable one-size-fits-all contracts. Today's events illustrate just how counter to Apple product philosphy the 3G iphone kickoff has become. Apple has always been about (a) buy product and (b) open box, it works. Now it is (a) stand in line to pay for product that is unavailable online, (b) undergo credit checks, (c) subscribe for unwanted services, (d) have someone else set up and authenticate your product, and (e) finally receive product. Yuck.

Reaction score
One Statement you say you dont understand why they charge more for SMS
Yet in the next you say there is no need to fault AT&T?

Data Is data and a SMS is a heck of alot smaller then any web page you vist or email you send which is free of charge and for this yes we are being Taken Oh and for leaving the service thats a $175 per line to get out of contract. AT&T was second on the list of providers for a reason Verizon turned apple down so we are stuck with second best

Hey, Can you hear me now? Verizon does not include SMS in their unlimited data plan either. Every carrier charges for SMS packages. Why are you up in arms? ATT was basically giving you a gift of 200 SMS messages included in the original iPhone plan, they decided not to do that anymore..... Get over it, why does everyone act like wireless companies "owe" them something?

Seriously all people do anymore is ***** ***** *****...... Get over yourself!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Hey, Can you hear me now? Verizon does not include SMS in their unlimited data plan either. Every carrier charges for SMS packages. Why are you up in arms? ATT was basically giving you a gift of 200 SMS messages included in the original iPhone plan, they decided not to do that anymore..... Get over it, why does everyone act like wireless companies "owe" them something?

Seriously all people do anymore is ***** ***** *****...... Get over yourself!

I wouldn't call it a gift. You're still paying for it. The previous data plan was a great deal, and this new one is less so. I'm personally more than satisfied with it, but no one ever likes price increases. For any reason. Can you really expect them to?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.