• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

DTV converter box connecting problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
I bought the Magnavox DTV converter (#TB100MW9) from Walmart after I finally received my coupon in the mail. I've spent hours trying to hook it up and I am still unable to use my VCR. Yes, I still use it. Mostly for my girls; they have a bunch of Sesame Street, Elmo and Little People VHS videos. I'm usually pretty good at figuring out how to connect electronics, but this one has me stumped. I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

I attached a diagram of my current hookup. I hope you can read my writing.
Details: The DVD player is connected directly to the TV by S-video and RCA audio cables. The TV has to be on an AUX/Video channel to be seen. It stands alone so this can be ignored.
For TV/VCR viewing, the TV stays on channel 3, channel changing occurs through the VCR.
The problem I'm having is seeing the VCR. The DTV box works fine when connected directly to the TV, but when I connect the DTV box to the VCR I get no signal. My TV has 5 RCA jacks (2 pair audio, 1 video), 1 S-video port, and 1 RF/coax jack. The DVD occupies 1 pr audio jacks, and I'd like to use the other pair for the stereo hookup. The DTV box has an RF connector and RCA audio/video jacks. The manual shows how to connect to a VCR/DVD, but I can't get it to work. Any suggestions?

View attachment hookup.pdf

OP
gary61071
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" G4 iMac dome, 1.25 ghz, OS 10.5.4. 5th Gen 80gb iPod Video
Never mind. I think I got it figured out. I need a splitter.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.