PDA

View Full Version : Memory Upgrade

jmztaylor
07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
So I have a Mac Mini and still learning the in and outs of it. I successfully upgraded from 512MB to 2GB RAM. Now in theory I should see a 4 fold performance gain. But most likely less than that. But either way it almost seems to be the same as before. Clicking on About this Mac it shows 2GB installed. Vista runs so much better now but I just don't see the difference on Mac OS. Is there something I should do? Or am I just being "special"?. Thanks for any info.

Mark W
07-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Memory is only one thing that affects performance, and increasing it doesn't always mean a performance increase. It depends on the applications that you are using.
For example, if you are playing a game and you find this is slow, your problem is possibly the video card despite having plenty of RAM.

Vista certainly needs more than 512MB of RAM, hence why you have noticed a gain there, but perhaps what you are doing in OSX doesn't require 2GB.

You might notice a difference more if you, for example, open lots of different applications, as this is something that would be memory intensive, you might find you are able to open more applications than you were before.

jmztaylor
07-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Well I don't play graphic intense games so that isn't the issue. Just normal opening and closing apps, finder and the such. I understand RAM isn't the only thing that effects performance. But having a Core Duo at 1.83 I was expecting it to have a noticeable difference. But it isn't horribly slow so it is usable. Just wondering if something special needs to be done on Macs since I have been using and working on PCs for about 10 years now. But thanks.

fishepa
07-02-2008, 07:42 PM
You will probably only notice a difference switching apps, and you will be able to have more apps open at once without performance issues.