• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Is Apple Care worth it?

Reaction score
I've had my imac g5 for almost 2 years now and for a grad present im thinking of getting a macbook because i kinda need/want a laptop. Should i buy the applecare package with it or is it just another thing for them to get your money haha. I didnt get it with my imac and i have had no problems untill recently and i think my hard drive is on its way out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
This is not the right place to post, but anyway. Since you're getting a macbook, a laptop, which is more prone to damage, it is especially and more worth it to get Applecare. With Applecare, you get a peace of mind although you paid quite a sum for it, but you know that any unintentional damage would be repaired by Apple. It is always good to prevent. Also, you need not get Applecare straight when you purchase the macbook. Remember, you still have a year to think properly about purchasing Applecare or not, as long as you purchase and register it before your 1-year warranty is up ;)

Reaction score
Depends on how lucky you feel. I am on my 4th Mac, 3 desktops and 1 laptop and have never bought it, and never needed it so i won't get it with Mac number 5 either...

How's your luck?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Yes. H, E, Double Hockey Sticks, Yes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Consider the amount you have invested. iPod, not really. iMac, yes. all it takes is one expensive repair that warranty/care could have covered, and a big Ouch!

That said, I have 2 comps that I bought the extended warranty for. Never needed it, but with my luck, I would have needed it, if I hadn't bought them.

Reaction score
AppleCare is a insult to the quality of their machines. If I thought that I was going to enough parts repaired/replaced on my MacBook Pro to justify spending ~$350 on a warranty, I wouldn't have bought the machine in the first place.

People seem to be under the impression that AppleCare covers accidental damage, but if you read the terms and conditions document it clearly says otherwise.

AppleCare Terms and Conditions - Section 'B' for Limitations. The Plan does not cover:
Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse...

jah

Reaction score
apple care is expensive...
only apple knows how reliable their product(s) is in relation to the profit turn around they need on apple care.;D

i have had considerable lockup & brick problems with my macbook pro where a $400 dell/ vista my employer gave me works fine and it runs with me everyday, a one hour backpack commute on a sportbike. its just the vista i dont like:Oops:

i would say dont doit (applecare) if reliability is an issue buy something else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
apple care is expensive...
only apple knows how reliable their product(s) is in relation to the profit turn around they need on apple care.;D
Not True.

i have had considerable lockup & brick problems with my macbook pro where a $400 dell/ vista my employer gave me works fine and it runs with me everyday, a one hour backpack commute on a sportbike. its just the vista i dont like:Oops:
And I have two MacBook Pros that have been nothing short of perfect, since trashing both a Lenovo and Studio laptop - both pieces of garbage from day one.

i would say dont doit (applecare) if reliability is an issue buy something else.
That's just bad advice.

Reaction score
I have never had any issues with laptops once I got one that worked, regardless of manufacturer. I have had issues where I received ones with defects from manufacturing, but those issues were resolved under the standard warranty.

I don't think it is reasonable to say something is reliable but at the same time say it needs an extended warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
Really, it's up to you.

I'd say get Personal Article Protection from State Farm (or comparable insurance company) if you're worried about damage/theft, and AppleCare if you're worried about it crapping out on you.

I have both, just to be safe about it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Yes, get it, I don't care what anybody says about it.

Applecare saved me over $6,000 in damages. I had a problem with my powerbook that required $3,000 worth of work ( 3 logic boards, 2 airport extreme cards, 2 sets of jumpers, a new heatsinc, new fan, and a new topcase) My computer had to go in for 5 repairs and they finally decided to replace my computer with a MacBook pro.

My problem was pretty rare which is why it required a lot of fixing, because everything they would try didn't work. I would still recommend getting it for the hope you never have to use it.

No it doesnt cover accidental damage, but if something goes wrong with the computer, they will fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bog imac
You don't need it.

Until you need it, of course.

TAKE A MEMO!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.66/4GB/320GB; iMac 2.66Ghz/4GB/320GB; Apple TV; Black iPhone 3G 16GB
'tis better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

We have Applecare on all our Macs (two MBs and one mini)

Reaction score
Yep, it's worth it and you can find it way less expensive than through Apple. I was (and am) still within the first 90 days, however i've talked to the AppleCare folks a few times. One was a rather lengthy call helping to set up my Time Warner emails. He told me it would've cost $169 just for that call. Yikes!

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113154&highlight=apple+care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G
100% worth it. My Macbook Pro is just nearing it's 1st birthday. 2 weeks ago I was in the Apple store getting a brand new screen, because it has some kind of defect, as well as a new battery. New screen would've cost me 299, and battery like 150 ish. But like the visa commercial I got a receipt that said $ 0.00.

Awesome!

Reaction score
its totally worth it. just the security of knowing that your computer is protected makes you feel a lot better inside and plus it also extends your support that you can get over the telephone which would expire after 90days without apple care. and ive already had to replace my battery once and they were very cool about it not like some other customer service departments that ive had to deal with :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.