Cable Modem Setup Qstn?

Reaction score
We are converting to Apple products. I have a MacBook, hubby just got a new iMac. Our internet service is hooked up thru our old Dell Desktop via a cable modem (from cable company) and a Netgear Router.

My question -- How can I get rid of this "hard wired" cable modem to the old Dell so I can get rid of the Dell. Or is that possible. Do I need to switch it to the iMac? Not sure how to do that --- the cable tech guy installed something on the Dell in addition to plugging it in -- is this something we can do ourselves on the iMac? Anybody know? Or is there a better alternative to all of this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Welcome!

Are you referring to going wireless?

The basic setup would be Cable modem to the router, (which would still be hardwired) and then you would need a wireless router.(if your Netgear router isn't one)
This is just an example of what I use. It has 4 ports for wired, if needed, and also transmits a wireless signal. If both your Macs have the Airport card, (or something similar) you can pick up the signal. The Dell can go wireless as well, if you wanted to keep it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes we do want wireless. We had it for everything except the Dell... finally figured that out -- the Dell Desktop was hard wired to the cable modem because it does not have a wireless card. Duh. Don't need that desktop anyway so we just disconnected it. In fact it's time to have a burial for that thing anyway. Everything else is working fine...

We simply want to get rid of as many wires as possible and now I can see the ideal solution. We'll have cable company come and move our cable hookup to our closet -- we are having electrican coming to add a/c outlet to it so we can put the printer in there -- add the modem and router and all the ugly things will be behind closed doors. ;D

Thanks for help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Yes we do want wireless. We had it for everything except the Dell... finally figured that out -- the Dell Desktop was hard wired to the cable modem because it does not have a wireless card. Duh. Don't need that desktop anyway so we just disconnected it. In fact it's time to have a burial for that thing anyway. Everything else is working fine...

We simply want to get rid of as many wires as possible and now I can see the ideal solution. We'll have cable company come and move our cable hookup to our closet -- we are having electrican coming to add a/c outlet to it so we can put the printer in there -- add the modem and router and all the ugly things will be behind closed doors. ;D

Thanks for help
Sounds like a good plan and you're welcome!

Say a few prayers for the Dell....And make sure you bury it deep...;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.