Time Machine + 360 = Headache

Reaction score
Im sure your more than aware of the problems between 360 and the TC, unfortunately i wasnt before i purchased my 1TB model. Having had 1.5 glorious years with the Airport Extreme i thought it best to upgrade in time for my Sonos purchase next month.

Unfortunately now i cant play on my 360 / stream movies to the telly because of the incompaitability.

Ive tried for 6 hours trying different things to get this to work, and spent another 5 googling for a way out.

I saw an excellent step by step guide written by Mojonandha explaining how to set up a spare router and a TC to essentially make 2 wireless networks, but i cant seem to apply the same method to my TC and AE (the two routers i would be using).

I tried using Airport Utility, but even when BOTH machines are seen, whichever one i click on takes me to the setup screen for TC not AE, and even with TC im not sure of the settings i should be using to get what i want done.

So i have my pc (boo, i know) hardwired to a 1gb TC which i want as my main router (connected to my Virginmedia modem) which i will use to stream music to the Sonos, and provide internet and email to my laptop, and a AE which i simply want there as a streamer and LIVE access to my 360 until Apple / M$ sort this issue out.

Could anyone please, please put me out of my misery and tell me, step by step, what i need to do, before i have to throw both machines out of the nearest window?

Sorry for very long post, and much thanks in advance (ill send you a virtual ice cream if you help me sort it!)

:'(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
did you try just setting up the AE router to your PC, and the TC to the Mac? Or is placement of the 360 not reachable?

OP
N
Reaction score
did you try just setting up the AE router to your PC, and the TC to the Mac? Or is placement of the 360 not reachable?

Originally i simply tried connecting just the TC to the pc, and the 360 would see the network, join it, but instantly fail all the tests (Xbox Live and Media Streaming). Its a known problem aparently (google 360 and Time Capsule).

I only have a pc and laptop btw, i dont have a mac (much as id love an iMac).

After this i tried setting up the TC as my main router and adding the AE to it via ethernet to act as a wireless network for only my 360, but hours after trying i gave up and right now have the TC in its box waiting to be taken back for a refund.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.