ibook or powerbook

J

jhomayne

ive been looking at both and i was wondering if it was worth shelling out the extra for the powerbook or gettin an upgraded ibook?

id call myself a casual user: bit of music, internet, word processing and maybe a bit of photo managment but no serious vidoe edting or design or anything

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I've been thinking about this too. I went to CompUSA yesterday and almost grabbed an iBook. I am kinda worried about the G3 / G4 thing. I want a G4 notebook, but I don't think the extra money is worth it for doing stuff like surfing and word processing, etc.

So I am in the same boat. Please let us know what you decide, when you do.

OP
J

jhomayne

well, i went on the applestore site and once id made the changes i would have wanted to my ibook i noticed that the price was the same or maybe even more than the powerbook.

co i reckon im gona go for the 12" powerbook

OP
H

hokiethang

jhomayne said:
well, i went on the applestore site and once id made the changes i would have wanted to my ibook i noticed that the price was the same or maybe even more than the powerbook.

co i reckon im gona go for the 12" powerbook

i never really liked the whole white plastic of an ibook. The aluminum casing on the 12 inch and 17inch powerbooks is nice. My 15 inch is made out of titanium and it seems to be pretty resistant to damage. The powerbook allows you to get more options, and you will have a newer chip, that has altivec, so when you go to run programs you will get the advantages of altivec (special extensions for g4). I chose my powerbook mostly because i liked the options i got with it at standard price, and the machine i got hooked with was a 15 inch powerbook. The 12 inch is like the perfect size for travel and carrying around on a daily basis.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
hokiethang said:
i never really liked the whole white plastic of an ibook. The aluminum casing on the 12 inch and 17inch powerbooks is nice. My 15 inch is made out of titanium and it seems to be pretty resistant to damage. The powerbook allows you to get more options, and you will have a newer chip, that has altivec, so when you go to run programs you will get the advantages of altivec (special extensions for g4). I chose my powerbook mostly because i liked the options i got with it at standard price, and the machine i got hooked with was a 15 inch powerbook. The 12 inch is like the perfect size for travel and carrying around on a daily basis.

when i got my powerbook a few weeks ago i was thinking the exact same thing. i was planning on getting a decked out 14" powerbook but the apple man convinced me to go for the 867 g4. he said that the G4 are much more better in the way that they are coded to run processes. i asked if i would notice a performance increase from g3 900mhz to g4 867 and he said definitely especially when running multiple programs

OP
J

JazzTrpt

trpnmonkey41 said:
when i got my powerbook a few weeks ago i was thinking the exact same thing. i was planning on getting a decked out 14" powerbook but the apple man convinced me to go for the 867 g4. he said that the G4 are much more better in the way that they are coded to run processes. i asked if i would notice a performance increase from g3 900mhz to g4 867 and he said definitely especially when running multiple programs

Yeah...my mom has a iBook G3 900 and my dad has a pb G4 867. There is definitely a difference when multitasking and such. Plus, the Powerbook has double data rate ram, whereas the iBook doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I want an iBook so bad.. though like emrys I am worried about the G4 G3 issue. I am waiting on buying another computer till something happens with the G3s... till then im just a cold wet dog.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
jhomayne said:
ive been looking at both and i was wondering if it was worth shelling out the extra for the powerbook or gettin an upgraded ibook?

id call myself a casual user: bit of music, internet, word processing and maybe a bit of photo managment but no serious vidoe edting or design or anything

any ideas?

I use my brand new iBook for basically the same things you mention, plus a fair amount of Appleworks work, and I couldn't be more satisfied with its performance.

When I was shopping for it, I too was deciding between the 14" iBook and the 12" Powerbook, but finally settled on the iBook mainly because I really wanted the larger screen, and I'm glad I did. I was able to get my 14" 900/256/40, with an upgrade to 640mb RAM from MacSolutions, for basically the same price as the standard 12" Powerbook with 256mb, and now I'm an extremely happy iBook owner. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm glad you like the iBook padawan. That's basically the same reason I got mine instead of the PB. I'm still very happy with it 7 months later

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.