Getting used to the iMac

Reaction score
had my iMac for about 3 weeks now maybe a little over. I swtiched over from PC and man this thing has done wonders. Still not a flaw yet and its so quick. At first I was not even close to getting used to it and didnt know if i could deal with a whole new platform that I was not familiar with. Only Switched because of the Great things I have heard and its lived up to it.

My favorite part right now is that I am used to it and know how to move around everywhere in the new computer.
Once I got that comfort zone i realize....PC is never gonna see me again :D .

When did you guys get all broken in with your mac's?

Reaction score
When did you guys get all broken in with your mac's?

I'm about 90% there. The hardware is well-designed, as is the software. The mighty mouse is seriously giving me my first case of carpal tunnel in a long time. It takes me more movement to cross the screen than with my PC mouse, and the force required to press the button is significantly more than I'm used to. The keyboard however, is much better than average, and I have a cache of omnikeys and model Ms in the back of my closet in case the apocalypse strikes.

Reaction score
I'm about 90% there. The hardware is well-designed, as is the software. The mighty mouse is seriously giving me my first case of carpal tunnel in a long time. It takes me more movement to cross the screen than with my PC mouse, and the force required to press the button is significantly more than I'm used to. The keyboard however, is much better than average, and I have a cache of omnikeys and model Ms in the back of my closet in case the apocalypse strikes.

Go into System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse. That'll fix half the problem. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I took under 3 days. Guess I have a fast learning curve.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8-core MacPro
Hi,

When I switched a couple months ago I had the same problem with the mouse movement. I installed a mouse management application called Steermouse. Everything is much better now!

Regards,

Joster Macedo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
I used OS X on a Dell m1330 for 2 days before realizing that I needed to buy a Mac. A week later I bought a Black MB (however now I'm thinking I should have got the white one......oh well).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini
I just switched to Mac 2 days ago and I still really have no idea what I'm doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I took under 3 days. Guess I have a fast learning curve.

You know all the terminal command lines?

The thing with the Mac is that you can learn most of the functions you need in just a few days, but once you peek under the bonnet, there is a whole world of tuning and twiddling, if this kind of thing turns you on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
took me about a day to learn the basics, and how everything works. the rest of the first week was used to learn the filesystem, and the internals, and yeah. now I am about 5 months in! :D

Reaction score
Go into System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse. That'll fix half the problem. ;)

Hi Jackington,

Thanks, but I neglected to mention that I already had the mouse tracking slider all the way up at maximum. I did try a Logitech mouse and some command line tweaks to up the speed a bit, but I think it'll just take some getting used to.

One thing that really gets me though - has anyone noticed that the click point on the mouse cursor is not exactly aligned with the tip of the on-screen cursor? It actually clicks 2-3 pixels below and to the right of the cursor, which often makes me miss small buttons or the resize-handle. Kinda strange.

Reaction score
It didn't actually take me that long. As I had used macs before and loved them. So when I finally got my one in 2006. I had very little learning to do. Except when it came to something I had not done on a mac before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
You know all the terminal command lines?

The thing with the Mac is that you can learn most of the functions you need in just a few days, but once you peek under the bonnet, there is a whole world of tuning and twiddling, if this kind of thing turns you on.

Ok not really, I was referring to the beginner's way of using the mac, as in basic ways of operating a mac, not all the nitty gritty stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac | iPod Shuffle | iPhone |
Hi,

I have had my iMac for 3 or 4 years now and
I am starting to get a little annoyed.
Basically, my Java has been messing up. (Not happy Jan)
And I am not able to access the games I usually go on.
Regards, Applescript Guy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.