• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone use Verison Wireless?

D

Desolate One

Anyone use Verizon Wireless?

Thinking about switching. How's the service? Wot network do they use?

Thanks.

Also I'm not noticing any good deals on their plans, wot attracted you to this service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Switching from what? I personally feel Verizon is the devil.

What are your needs for cell service...do you travel much or mainly local?

OP
D

Desolate One

Well my GF has Verizon from her company and suggested I switch because mobile to mobile is free of charge. However I can't seem to find a similar plan to wot I have now w/o paying a ton. So I'm not going to save any money there. Another con of Verizon is the roaming charge. I do quite a bit of traveling and @ .69/min, just unacceptible.

I currently have T-Mobile and have been happy w/ their service, no complaints here. However she now lives 1700+ miles away so we do a lot of talking on the phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Tell her to switch to t-mobile since couples talk for free

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have Verizon wireless. There are plans with free long distance minutes. I have not had any problems with Verizon.

I believe they are the devil when it comes to DSL though.

OP
C

code777

i've had verizon / bell atlantic since 1995 and the service in my state has improved dramatically, they are basically becoming a M$ but their service is the best around here. Their CS is terrible as every rep tells you something wrong or different. I have a Moto v710 that works like a charm and i use it with my iBook as a modem, i just wish Verizon would like data transfers happen for the v710 but they say they will lose money because people would be transfering pics off the cell to their computer, whatever...

if I had t-Mobile I'd get that sony erricson phone but t-mobile is not very good in my state....

OP
D

Desolate One

Well the company pays her Verizon mobile service so it's out of the question for her to switch. I did see the free long distance plans, however I'll be getting half the minutes I get now for the same price, plus a ridiculous charge on roaming and since I travel a bit that's unacceptible.

All in all I feel switching will end up costing me more money whereas she feels I'll save. I think I need to throw together a slideshow presentation for her to break it down. Then again she'll feel insulted and thus it's a lose/lose situation. Ya just can't please women. :bomb:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yes you can please a woman. All you have to do is, do what she wants. lol :black: :) :flower:

OP
D

Desolate One

Heh, very true rman! But the discrepancy is that she wants me to switch because she says it will save ME money! Well I wont bring it up to her if you dont. I think I'll stick w/ T-Mobile. ;)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Like you said, if it does not say you money and you like your current plan. It seems there is no choice there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
I recommend getting a sony ericson phone, so you can use saling clicker and buddy pop, etc. theyyre great.

OP
D

Desolate One

Macman said:
I recommend getting a sony ericson phone, so you can use saling clicker and buddy pop, etc. theyyre great.

Saling Clicker and Buddy Pop? Are they apps native to the Sony Ericson line?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
no, but buddy pop is cool, it syncs ichat, and address book with saling clicker, itll even display the picture of the person calling and does all sorts of cool stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
rman said:
Oh yes you can please a woman. All you have to do is, do what she wants. lol
You never know until you talk to her. ;)

::goes back on topic::

My brother and mom have T-Mobile. I once used one of their cell phones to make a call, and the reception was really good.

One of my friends has Verizon, and I've noticed that the reception on her cell phone is a little fuzzy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3 GHz 3 gigs of ram & 2004 PowerBook
code777 said:
i've had verizon / bell atlantic since 1995 and the service in my state has improved dramatically, they are basically becoming a M$ but their service is the best around here. Their CS is terrible as every rep tells you something wrong or different. I have a Moto v710 that works like a charm and i use it with my iBook as a modem, i just wish Verizon would like data transfers happen for the v710 but they say they will lose money because people would be transfering pics off the cell to their computer, whatever...

if I had t-Mobile I'd get that sony erricson phone but t-mobile is not very good in my state....

I also have a v710! I got it the day it came out. As for service, Verizon has the best and none of the company's can compete. I use to have att (8 months ago) and it was horrible. My uncle just moved from orange county (he has cingular) to San Diego (moved the biz closer to my dad cause he’s the president now) and he cant get service in his house or the office so he just got a new blackberry from Verizon. Verizon is the best even though I admit that its totally retarded that they make you use their get it now service... but it’s totally worth it.:teen:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've got AT&T Wireless...now Cingular. Good coverage, great grandfathered plan from AT&T. Oh and I get a 50% equipment and 20% monthly plan discount through work with them ;).

Now when can I get me that Moto Razr? lol

OP
D

Desolate One

But you've only compared one other service to Verizon, Cingular/AT&T. How are you claiming Verizon is the best? I mean if it is infact true then it would explain why they have crap for rates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMHO the cell service that's the best for anyone depends on where you live...at least until coverage is universal (which will be probable never). Test out different providers, check with friends see who has the best coverage in your area. Then take those that have good coverage and compare plans to find the one best for you.

So in one area Verizon might have good coverage and Cingular doesn't. In another Cingular is better than Verizon and in a third T-Mo blows them both away.

So anyone who can claim any company is hands down better than another is full of it.

For me, I think Cingular and T-Mo have a leg up on Verizon or Sprint simply because they use GSM which is a much more widely used standard.

OP
D

Desolate One

Exactly. I've been using Tmo for the longest, since the were Voice Stream in fact and I've always had great service. I get service all over the Chicago Land area, the surrounding states up to Windsor, Las Vegas/North Las Vegas, Tucson, Miami/Ft. Laudi, Philly and these are all the places I frequent most. So for me, from my usage anyway, Tmo has been great.

I just created the thread to get some other people's opinoins on Verizons service, but after researching their rates and with the good history I've had w/ Tmo I think I'll stick with them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.