Need Help new to wireless

Reaction score
My sister is giving my son her old Powerbook G4 laptop with an airport card installed and I need to figure out how to set up for wireless. I have and eMac with a 2wire modem that does not have wireless capability. I called AT&T and they suggested purchasing a new 2wire model # 2701 and then call them for all the configurations, but I was wondering if purchasing an airport express will work and how I would hook it up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know I'm way behind the curve with wireless technology.

Reaction score
Im to new to these wireless technology. I have just bought a macbook and planning on taking it to the park tommorow with my nephew and my dog. I was wondering where do I go to get the options for different network

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What model is the existing 2Wire DSL Modem? With that info I can better help you.

I set up a 2Wire 2701 for friends.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reason I asked as I was pretty sure your existing modem also had a router and 4 port switch built in. You can use it as just a DSL Modem by putting the 1070-B in Bridged Mode.

I have docs on how to do that if you do go with an Airport Extreme or other WiFi Router.

How much does AT&T they want for the 2701?

The 2701 I used seemed pretty solid with good Wifi Range, but was 802.11G and not N like the Airport Extreme.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand about the router and 4 port switch and I think I have to use an Airport Express because the card in my sisters laptop is an older Airport card and not an Airport Extreme card. The AT&T 2701 is about $90.00 and the Airport Express is $60.00 right now until 12pm tomorrow. Which do you think is the better and easiest set up, the Airport or the 2701? My son will also at some point want to go wireless with his Xbox 360.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.