Gigabit ethernet to slow

Reaction score
I have a problem with my gigabit ethernet connection.

To transfer large files to my Time Capsule (firmware 7.3.1) and external hard drive I've connected my MacBook (with giga ethernet port) to my TC with a cat 6 ethernet cable. Unfortunately the transferrate won't get higher than about 12 Mb/sec, this should be about 100 Mb/sec (about 1000 Mbit/sec).
With a cat 5e cable it wouldn't work either.
The wired connection with my LaCie external disk (supports gigabit ethernet) isn't faster either.

I've tried some changes in system preferences > network > ethernet but adjusting the speed won't work.

what's wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
100Mb/sec is in theory only. Transferring information is much, much slower. For example, SuperDuper (registered) with Smart Backup on Firewire 400 runs at about 30Mb/sec max.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.53 DC2, 09 Mini 2.0 DC2, 07 Mini 2.16 DC2, MB 2.0 DC2, iBook G3 900MHz, G4 Sawtooth 1.6Ghz
i use to to go crazy with this same problem. i am all CAT6 and gigabit and your speeds are exactly what i get. it also has to do with the how fast the HDD can write the information you are transferring. i just gave up trying to make it faster and decided to be happy with 12MB (not really but i tell myself that LOL).

i have spent days reading on how to increase this speed and have had no luck. i realize that the 100Mb speed is the max in perfect conditions but i was hoping to at least get up to the 40's or 50's.

if you find a fix for this let me know.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with both harry and fletch.

What Mac do you own? Specs please.

You will never get 100 MB/Sec but 12 does sound a bit low. Like Fletch said, a lot depends on the speed of both hard drives. So you have everything connected up Gigabit? No USB 2.0 in the way?

I am not using Time Capsule here, but with my networked computers all with Gigabit, I get 30-50 MB/Sec or so depending on the system (Write speed of the hard drive of the computer I am copying to). The fastest speeds are copying to my AMD 64 system with WD 10K RPM Raptor HDD.

OP
T
Reaction score
I think I've found the answer. The writing speed of the disk is at about 12 Mb/sec, so it can't grt any faster.
The only question is: why a gigabit connection on the capsule?
It's like driving on a highway with a bike...

I have a problem with my gigabit ethernet connection.

To transfer large files to my Time Capsule (firmware 7.3.1) and external hard drive I've connected my MacBook (with giga ethernet port) to my TC with a cat 6 ethernet cable. Unfortunately the transferrate won't get higher than about 12 Mb/sec, this should be about 100 Mb/sec (about 1000 Mbit/sec).
With a cat 5e cable it wouldn't work either.
The wired connection with my LaCie external disk (supports gigabit ethernet) isn't faster either.

I've tried some changes in system preferences > network > ethernet but adjusting the speed won't work.

what's wrong?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Marketing my boy marketing. The old Latin proverb..

A Buck is a buck is a buck...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is this off the Internal drive in the Time Capsule or an External connected USB 2.0 drive?

Reason I ask is from all I have read, the Time Capsule drive is no different than the older Airport Extreme with a USB 2.0 drive plugged into it externally in speed. It seems like the internal drive is running at USB 2.0 speeds.

Reaction score
The TC disk works via WiFi: Switch WiFi off and see what happens.
The Ethernet connection is not for the disk in the TC.
Read the specs of the TC. It is a Router.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm sure they've solved the problem by now. The thread is dated 8 years ago. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.