• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Market Concerns

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Apple took a shallow dip recently in the stock market. None of my stocks really achieved much today, around about a $2 decrease. Besides Apple, which has gone down $5.

I'm thinking about a mutual fund, one with a bit more foreign shares than domestic shares. I have picked out a couple, but if you all had some suggestions, that would be great =]

I will for sure be getting into investment (conservative, until next summer when I actually have time to do the aggressive portfolio!) soon, and I have my portfolio ready to build, and I', close to getting the amount i need to start.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Yea my stocks have dipped quite a bit too. Not liking it. But I have never gone into the Mutual Fund area. Just trying to ride through it.... again.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I dunno if this is just poor economy, or inflation, but it's kind of bothering me, because if the shares im picking keep it up like this, I might have to exclude a lot of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
right now is a good long term hold period. stock prices will fluctuate wildly until the economy recovers. Mutual funds probably won't be significantly greater yields.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So your saying i should make my portfolio more aggressive than conservative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Like all forms of gambling - only put at risk on high speculation stock what you can really afford to lose. That way it will not come as too much of a disappointment if things go a little sour.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
True. I'm just starting to think that I may be getting too hyped up about it, because it just seems crazy when the portfolio you put together has stocks that are all going down, especially at a time where I'm about to jump in the investment pool.

We'll see how they do tomorrow when the market opens.

Thanks guys ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well always look on the plus side - you won;t be getting an IRS bill for your profits! Let me tell you it really sours a good year when you get a heft bill from, the tax man.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picture1-1.png

This was at approx. 9:50

OOPS double post! sorruhs!

*NOTE*

It is now 11:03, and Apple has decreased $6 in share price. :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Don't worry about it, they will go back up. They have been doing this all year. I'm still ahead :)

I would stay away from mutual funds. They kill you with fees. Instead, check out some ETFs. I made a killing on the iShares Brazil ETF. You buy and sell them just like stocks.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about it, they will go back up. They have been doing this all year. I'm still ahead :)

I would stay away from mutual funds. They kill you with fees. Instead, check out some ETFs. I made a killing on the iShares Brazil ETF. You buy and sell them just like stocks.

Thanks for the advice! I'll take note of that, because right now, investing for me is very important, and I don't want to give myself any disadvantages.

Wow, i just looked, and apple has hit a decrease of $8.27

:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
Don't worry about it. I talked my parents into buy me 10 shares of apple !:)
But Im probably going to sell like the 15th I hope that the release of the 3G and app store will bring it up.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't worry about it. I talked my parents into buy me 10 shares of apple !:)
But Im probably going to sell like the 15th I hope that the release of the 3G and app store will bring it up.

Especially since they will be cheaper. A lot more people will be buying it now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
Especially since they will be cheaper. A lot more people will be buying it now.

And they are in 60+ countries.. Thats why I am holding my shares of Apple... but only time will tell..

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Picture1-2.png

well, that's how I did today!! not a good step, but it's only one day. I'm sure there will be more good days than these kind of days. =|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Like it has before, the market will rebound.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just the fun in it ;) I signed up for a practice account, and I set up my portfolio and everything. Tomorrow I will do the practicing. (since the markets are closed).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.