Boot Camp - Help

Reaction score
I am planning to Install Windows XP on my iMac 2.8 500GB Hard Disk 2GB RAM. My questions -

1. What file system should i format the drive - FAT 32 or NTFS
2. What is the partition size that i should use for FAT or NTFS

Is there a step-by-step on how to install XP on Leopard's Boot Camp?

Thanks.

Reaction score
In Boot Camp Assistant there's a PDF of a step by step guide to installing Windows that will answer your questions. Print it out and have it handy.

Reaction score
To let you know that I used bootcamp on my macbook and got a XP up and running. My biggest problem is that I didn't give the XP partition enough space.

I put it to Fat32, i can see the windows partition under OSX and can drop files to and from it. I can't see the Mac partition under windows though.

If you think about what data you are going to want to access such as music, photos and films for recreational and if your having large amounts of work data which partition that will need to be on.

Josh

Reaction score
No personal experience with max sizes but wikipedia says that it's only during the setup of windows 2000/xp that there was a limit of file size to 32gb and the confusion is that windows 2000 can only make partitions of a max of 32gb.

Therefore I would say that you can have partitions made in bootcamp bigger than 32GB, though FAT32 still limits a file to a maximum of 4GB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.