Need help merging partitions

Reaction score
I had bootcamp install but no longer wanted it. Instead of using the bootcamp assistant to remove windows and merge the partition back into my main osx partition, I used disk utility to try to delete it and merge it. Im pretty sure I emptied the windows partition but I was not able to restore it to my osx partition. The windows partition shows up on my desktop and has nothing in it but I can't figure out how to get those gigs added back to my original osx partition. Help is needed. Thanks.

Reaction score
Boot Camp Assistant will remove the partition and restore it. That's the easiest way.

OP
G
Reaction score
I know it should, but my attempt at deleting it through disk utility messed something up and now boot camp assistant won't work It says

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition.

It must be formated as a single mac osx journaled volume or already partitioned by BCA for installing windows.

I've erased the windows partition and set it to mac osx journaled but it still doesn't work...

Reaction score
Then try this (copied from another thread):

Open Disk Utility (DU)
Click on your hard drive name that should be at the top of the list on the left of DU.
Click on the partition tab...
Click on the partition [box] that is either titled "Windows" or "UNTITLED" (basically the on that is not your OS X partition)
Click on the minus button at the bottom of the partition list...

Disk Utility will delete that partition and add the newly acquired space to your OS X partition.

Make sure you restart -
Then go ahead and try bootcamp assistant again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.