help a desperate AP Computer Science high school student

Reaction score
hi,
my teacher told me to download Jcreator to work on the summer assignments. unfortunately, the software is only available for windows computers. i have a windows computer, but it is extremely slow. are there any mac-friendly options that work the same way as jcreator? (if he tells me to open a new ICT Project and compile it, i could do the same thing with another software).

i am pretty new to this. i have no background in software programming, which is why i am doing this over my summer break. can anyone please assist me??

thanks for ur help!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I know absolutelly nothing about programming, but it seems an IDE is a development environment

There are plenty of IDEs out there but the creators of Java provide the tools for free

http://developer.apple.com/java/creator.html

PLus some background, in the above article, but more expert people might know more

Reaction score
hi,
my teacher told me to download Jcreator to work on the summer assignments. unfortunately, the software is only available for windows computers. i have a windows computer, but it is extremely slow. are there any mac-friendly options that work the same way as jcreator? (if he tells me to open a new ICT Project and compile it, i could do the same thing with another software).

i am pretty new to this. i have no background in software programming, which is why i am doing this over my summer break. can anyone please assist me??

thanks for ur help!!!!!!!!

I am not an expert but try this page:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080110220533AARLlZb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I would let your teacher know that isn't an option and look into Eclipse which is a very respected development environment that allows you to do Java development.

XCode might be an option but I haven't looked into it.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I would let your teacher know that isn't an option and look into Eclipse which is a very respected development environment that allows you to do Java development.

XCode might be an option but I haven't looked into it.

Eclipse gets my vote too - but be warned if you are new to development it may be a bit of a learning curve for you.

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks for all the responses guys!
i just spoke to my teacher, and he gave me the okay for eclipse. he will be sending me online instructions on how to program using Jcreator. will it be much different if i use eclipse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Nope, the programming itself is the same, but you might need to click options that are named a bit differently to run the app.

But Eclipse is great - once you've found your way around the basics you can really get things done!

If you have any questions, just post back here - I'm also in the process of learning Java on my Macbook at University using Eclipse!

OP
Y
Reaction score
thanks!
do u think Eclipse is more similar to Jcreator or do you think Xcode will be more similar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They're both similar apps - both are extensive IDEs.

However XCode is really tailored primarily to doing Objective-C development and the few times I've attempted to do Java development with it, I've preferred Eclipse. But XCode does have the advantage of feeling quite a bit more "Mac-like".

I'd use Eclipse as that's probably something your course teacher will be more familiar with. You'll also find a lot more articles and websites about developing Java apps in Eclipse than you will on developing java apps in xcode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.