Maybe this has been answered, but Im lost

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been a PC user since I was lil.. just recently work bought me a new macbook pro, its real nice and pretty.. got 250gb hd, 2g ram, a core 2 duo..similar to my home PC processor a E8400.

Anyway, I brought my new laptop with me to Disney with my lady friend and her family, I took a whole buncha shots and every night at the hotel I imported them into Iphoto.

At the end of the vacation, I got home and wanted to burn the pictures I had taken to a DVD, this was a very confusing thing since.. I did not see any DVD burning software.

I knew I could.. I saw and heard of it before... so after fiddling around alot! I finally managed to burn pictures to a DVD.. but heres the problem.. after I burned them I viewed them on my PC.. ALOT of the pictures are crap!

I know its not my camera.. it looks like I burned a bunch of thumbnails instead of the real pictures. So I got on the laptop and I cannot find any of the original pictures.

Normally I set every picture to 3-5 megapixel, fine to super fine resolution, decently high ISO.

Some of the unaffected ones are in the normal range 600k-1mb.. but the only pictures that I even cared about are 15k-30k thumbnails!!!! I cant print this stuff, zoomed up it looks horrible..

Could anyone help me? Do I need to restore lost data? and why do the thumbnails have the same name as the originals.. what the heck kinda crap is that. And what in the world kind of program allows someone to copy thumbnails or previews of pictures.. how is that even possible.. why would that be an option.. who does that??

OP
T
Reaction score
By the way I have a Canon SX100IS, and again im using a new macbook pro.

home PC is windows xp pro, 4gb memory, 1tb harddrive and intel E8400 at 3.2ghz on an gigabyte intel board

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What do you mean you can't find the originals? Are they not in iPhoto?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
try spotlight. if that doesnt work, im not sure. I think what you may have done was put the actual files on the DVD, which would explain them being small size on the DVD and gone on your MBP. and thats bad..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
Can you please be little more specific???
Like How did you import your pictures? With iPhoto or Image Capture?
And which program did you use to create the DVD?
Did you use iDVD or soemthing else?
I have created quite a few DVDs with iDVD & I always import my pictures into iPhoto by connecting my camera to the computer..Never had a problem like you did!!!

OP
T
Reaction score
I import the photos with iPhoto, I used "finder" to put the DVD icon on the desktop, then I dragged the pictures to the DVD and selected burn.

I think during the process I did something wrong.. im not sure, its very confusing.. it originally opened iDvd and I could not understand how it worked.

I also tried putting all the photos in a folder on the HD. in iPhoto there are placeholders where at night I imported the photos and it "groups" the photos into categories by date.

I just dont understand why the mac converted the pictures into thumbnails, and why each time I burn them to DVD, it makes another duplicate of that picture, in the same folder..

So, I had around 640 pictures.. now I have around 3000 pictures.. I am not selected copy and paste, nor cut and paste... why did it delete the originals.. why is it copying the thumbnails.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'm not so clear where you're dragging the photos from (iphoto? a folder in finder?) but it's no doubt the act of dragging them from one place to another that's making the copies you're seeing.

All that aside..... to burn pictures from iPhoto:
1. Put a blank disc in the superdrive.
2. In iPhoto select the pictures/events/albums you want to put on the disc
3. Choose Burn from the Share menu.

Here's Apples take on the subject: Burning Your Photos to CD or DVD

HTH
mrplow

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for clearing that part up.

Although I would still like to know if it is possible to restore the photo's to the way they were.. normal 3-5 megapixel, 500k-1mb in size.. instead of 12k-30k crummy quality pictures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you view the photos in iphoto are the tiny? or do they look ok?

OP
T
Reaction score
The placeholders of where the photos used to be are there.. with the date I uploaded them, but the photos I had moved to a folder on the HD, because I wanted to back them up.

Somehow instead of copying it cut and pasted/deformed.

uuh.. I feel sick.. dont you hate that feeling.. when you think you lost something huge. Those pictures were of my first time at Disney with my GF. I managed to get a picture with her and every character.

I should have brought my PC laptop, I was just astounded by the picture quality and speed of the mac that I got flustered. and it probabaly wasnt smart of me to do something like this when I have never EVER used mac before.

For now I think I am going to try to recover what I can from the camer'a SD card, I did use it over and over.. but since the camera has a picture counter, and it was a 8gb card.. there might be some hope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you know any of the file names try spotlight to find them.
check the trash,
They can't have just vanished. Goto pictures and right-click on iphoto library -> show package contents. That will let you into the iphoto library folders, have a look around in there......

good luck

Reaction score
Hello!!!

I need a program with a simple function. I have a picture and i want to cut a piece from it but i want to see the ratio of the width and the height "real time" when i'm cutting it. Sorry cause of my english , i hope you understand my question.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.