• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What Time do You use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
24 hour or 12 hour? do you think 24 hour time is confusing? I personally use 24 hour time. I have it set on my phone, Mac, iPod, and Xbox. Even the clock on my camera shows 24 hour time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I use 12 hour because that's what I've grown accustomed to. However, during my recent trip to Taiwan, it would seem as though other parts of the world use the 24 hour clock.

I don't find it confusing, just something one has to get used to. Within a day or two on my trip I knew exactly what 16:30 meant without having to convert it to 12 hour time.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I just do the "subtract 2" thing. right now its 19:39. well thats 7:39 because 19-2 is 17. thus, 7. its an odd way, but it works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
That's what I do too :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Nothin but the 24 hour clock set to the local time here in Vancouver, just what I"m used to.....now if Alpine would get that feature added to it's radios.....then the last holdout would be set to the 24 hour clock too !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
Standard am and pm here. The 24 hr time setting, is usually left to the military. And eastern time zone too. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
I would like to use the Zulu system but due to living in America it becomes a bit useless, someone will tell me to meet up with them at 7am or 6pm, or a store will say it closes at 10PM, there is really no point to it if I just have to convert all the time. There is nothing that confuses me about the Zulu system, there's nothing really to be confused about. Although I have recently switched to using Celsius for the temperature and am almost finished completely switching over to the metric system :) I protest the ways America pushes upon me! :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4ghz/200gb/2gb/15.4"+ Tons of Windows PC's
I use the 12 hour format. To me, the 24 hour format seems too confusing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I use both!
At work we use what I thought was called "military time" (24hrs) but I use the standard for everything else.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really need to get my metric system down.

It's about yay high and yay big. That's right, isnt it? =P

bad joke, i know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook- 2.2GHz, 1gb RAM, 160GB, Double-Layer Superdrive.
Heh heh, what I've found helpful with converting myself to it was using the Unit Converter Widget that I have, great little tool.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but seriously though, I really do need to learn the metric system. The rest of the world does, and whenever I hear something like "meters" or "knots" or kilometers" i curse my school.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.5 GHz 2 GB RAM 250 GB HDD NViDA GeForce 8600 GMT
12 hours time here...But no confusion with 24 hrs time either!!!
& Yeh I prefer Matric units over other measurement units..!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
I use metric time.

10 hours a day
100 minutes to an hour
100 seconds to a minute

etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Zulu or 12 hour? do you think Zulu time is confusing? I personally use Zulu time. I have it set on my phone, Mac, iPod, and Xbox. Even the clock on my camera shows Zulu time.

I use 24 hour time for most things, it drives my family insane ( ;) ). I think you have "24 Hour" and "Zulu" time confused. "Zulu" time is also know as "GMT" or the time in Greenwich England on which the UTC standard is based. Presumably your clock is set to 24 hour time for your location, not the time in Greenwich England, unless you happen to live there.

From Wikipedia:

Time zones usually differ from UTC by an integral number of hours, although the laws of each jurisdiction would have to be consulted if sub-second accuracy was required. Several jurisdictions established time zones that differ by an integer number of half-hours from UT1 or UTC.
The UTC time zone is sometimes denoted by the letter Z – a reference to the equivalent nautical time zone (GMT), which has been denoted by a Z since about 1950. The letter also refers to the "zone description" of zero hours, which has been used since 1920 (see time zone history). Since the NATO phonetic alphabet and amateur radio word for Z is "Zulu", UTC is sometimes known as Zulu time. This is especially true in aviation, where Zulu is the universal standard. This ensures all pilots regardless of location are using the same 24-hour clock, thus avoiding confusion when flying between time zones.

OP
cuhnool
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see! I did not know that! hmm maybe i should change it in my OP ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HDD
12 Hour format for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
I use the 24 hour clock on everything, and have done since I was about 10 years old. Mainly because thats when I got my first mobile phone, and started sending/receiving text messages, and there's nothing more annoying than receiving a message saying "ill meet u 2moro @ 10" and having to ask for clarification.

The metric system is odd here in the UK. All products have to be marked with metric sizes/weights (except draft beers which are sold by the pint), but our road signs, speed limits and speedometers are marked in miles rather than kilometers... but your car doesn't have a nought to 60 time, it's nought to 62 (100Kmph). Celsius or Fahrenheit depends on whether it's hot or cold, and you use the one which sounds the most dramatic.

I mostly stick to metric measurements (because it's what we're taught in school, they're usually more precise, and I spend a lot of time in Europe where everything's metric), but still use inches, feet, yards when a) that's the correct measurement b) I'm talking to someone over 40.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.