AirPort Extreme as a router

Reaction score
I am currently using a ADSL router to connect to the internet. However I am thinking of giving this away to a friend and buying an Airport Extreme. Is the airport extreme a direct replacement? Would I be able to use the airport extreme to 'dial' into my broadband.
I have looked through the instruction manual for the airport extreme,and it seems to suggest I need the airport extreme on top of my current router?
Anyone have experience of this?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If your current router has an ADSL modem built in, then no, the Airport Extreme is not a direct replacement. What you would have to do is disable the routing functions of your ADSL modem/router and then add the Airport Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
You can't use the Airport to 'dial in'. Airport connects to your cable modem through an ethernet cable.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
You can't use the Airport to 'dial in'. Airport connects to your cable modem through an ethernet cable.

Some DSL services use PPPoE, which in a sense "dials into" the ISP and authenticates. In many cases, the DSL modem handles this piece for you. Basically what Kash is saying is absolutely correct. The OP would need to disable the router (in many cases, this is referred to putting the DSL modem in "bridged" mode) and instead use the AE to handle the PPPoE connection.

Cable modems use different technologies altogether...

To the OP: My recommendation would be that if you do go this route, contact your ISP - they should be able to advise you on how to configure your DSL modem to "play nicely" with a 3rd party wireless router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.