• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Apple plan?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
There has been huge press coverage of the new iPhone, and great - but have commentators missed the hidden plan.

It seems as if the iPod halo effect, Intel transition, alongside the debacle that is windows Vista is seeing large swaves of consumers flock to the mac.

But the enterprise is still an area where Macs tend to eek out a small enclave in the creative department. Windows dominates here and will for the foreseeable future, due to many factors but mainly due to end users almost always being given no choice by the policies of the IT department.

But now comes the iPhone 2, is it Apple's secret plan to get a Halo effect in to big business?

Think about it. Apple are turning their guns on Blackberry, in an open assault on all those managers in corporations that are currently using the Blackberry. What happens when some of them start using the iPhone and start to think that maybe, their next portable should be an Apple?

Unlike regular employees, if this sector starts to demand Apple as their platform of choice, any Micosoft centric IT department will just have to give ground. Either that or face the displeasure of senior managers.

Is this the start of Apple's assault on the enterprise? If it is, it is one very cunning tactic on behalf of Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Well said Louis. Clearly they are not being shy about it, what with Exchange Server integration and the lower price, not to mention any of the other long listed features.

We shall see, nothing would make me happier than to have a whole bunch of macs hanging out on my network just getting along. Just imagine xServe running the show at your local office/school :drool:

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
thanks for the comment

hows the dust down there? .. and I'll have to add you to my facebook page - once I take time to figure it all out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Dust is great (as my macbook's fan is currently attesting to.) Facebook is great at keeping me in touch with people at home. Sometimes, however, it can be depressing when one sees that the world is still spinning while he remains in the desert :p Thanks for asking though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.5.3
I think you're right. It's always been Apple's plan to suck new users in with their iPods and now they've reached even more people with the iPhone. I say, the more the better, that way we can all get macs in our offices someday. So many people I talk to tell me that the reason they don't already have macs in their offices is that their IT peeps don't know the first thing about macs (they haven't even tried) and wouldn't even know where to start when it comes to adding a mac to a network or trying to share files. Chances are, they've never tried, because if they had, they'd realize how easy it is. Too bad for them. They're just going to have to get an iPhone and learn.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.