Firewire HDD problem

C

confuzzled

hi
i have an external firewire hard drive and when i connect it to my mac an error message comes up stating "Cannot verify open disk utility".
Can anyone tell me what it means and how i can fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hmm, I say check it using disk utility, its located inside a folder called utilities inside the applications folder. after it says gathering disk information, select the drive on the left, click verify, or repair disk.

OP
V

viz

I think that the Mac has to recognise the drive as a Mac OS volume. Do the above and it should then run (bit like formating a PC drive I guess). Had the same problem with a second internal HDD that I installed.

/viz

Reaction score
viz said:
I think that the Mac has to recognise the drive as a Mac OS volume. Do the above and it should then run (bit like formating a PC drive I guess). Had the same problem with a second internal HDD that I installed.

/viz

Even if it is a fat 32 formatted drive the Mac will not read it if it does not have a volume name. Make sure the drive has a volume name...if it does then it is another problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.