Any MySQL users (gurus) out there?

M

mgm_03

I'm looking for people who can help me get MySQL working.

details...usingJaguar. Downloaded and installed MySQL 4.0.1 from MySQL (per the instructions on www.entropy.ch. ).

...btw, I've done the removal and install about 3 times now....

When I cd to /usr/local/mysql and sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe & I get:

[1] 1802
[Marks-Computer:/usr/local/mysql] mark% touch: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
chown: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /Users/mark/mysql/data
./bin/mysqld_safe: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
./bin/mysqld_safe: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
tee: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
030813 15:14:07 mysqld ended
tee: /Users/mark/mysql/data/Marks-Computer.local..err: No such file or directory
-------------------------
Unfortunately, I am unable to access the /data directory because I get "Permission denied". So, I can't check the .err log file.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

OP
D

dmonk

same problem

It looks like we are experiencing similar problems, but you're actually getting further than I am.

so far this is as far as I get:

[D-Ms-Computer:~] daniel% su root
Password:
[D-Ms-Computer:/Users/daniel] daniel# cd/usr/local/mysql
cd/usr/local/mysql: Command not found.

OP
H

hokiethang

dmonk said:
It looks like we are experiencing similar problems, but you're actually getting further than I am.

so far this is as far as I get:

[D-Ms-Computer:~] daniel% su root
Password:
[D-Ms-Computer:/Users/daniel] daniel# cd/usr/local/mysql
cd/usr/local/mysql: Command not found.

try a space between cd and /usr.
cd /usr/local/mysql

that may help, but i do not know, i dont really use mysql on my mac.

OP
D

dmonk

thanks

Thanks hokiethang,
that did it.

(on to the next task)
-dmonk

hokiethang said:
try a space between cd and /usr.
cd /usr/local/mysql

that may help, but i do not know, i dont really use mysql on my mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pwnt
OK, I spent hours and hours trying to get mySQL working. After getting confused by conflicting instructions by many different websites, these are the instructions I use to start up mysql and log in:

shell> cd /usr/local/mysql
shell> sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
(Enter your password, if necessary)
(Press Control-Z)
shell> bg
(Press Control-D or enter "exit" to exit the shell)

shell> alias mysql /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
shell> alias mysqladmin /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin
shell> mysql -h localhost -u root -p

As you can probably guess, that also creates aliases to mysql and mysqladmin so you can access them directly from your own user's directory.

OP
B

Bo Eddy

otherwise log in as root, as opposed to regular user, and configure from there for you to do this youll have to enable 'other' as a login option under net info manager in your utilities folder, unlock (bottom left corner), type in the password (as long as youre the admin) then choose <domain<security<enable root user. then log off then relog in as 'root' with the admin passsword. I used this to istall mysql etc. It was much easier ':D <<<note:: if your cpu is used by alot of people or youre worried about security then after youre done, disable the root accoutn so noone can access it>>>

Bo Eddy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.