Do routers just go out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HD
I was surfing the net tonight and all of a sudden my wireless card lost connection with my wireless router. I tried resetting the router but still I don't see my network in my list of available networks. I can join other networks in my area, so it must be my router, right?

As a side note, I have had this wireless router for like 6 years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
ah, they do. Same thing happened to my old linksys router. it just stopped giving wireless feed. I bought a new Belkin G/MIMO router, easy setup and woks great. If youre willing to spend 180 USD on a router, go for the AirPort Extreme.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, Black, 13.3 inch, glossy screen, super cool
Yup, unfortunately they do go out . It happened to me...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like any electronic device, they do fail. What brand and model is it?

It really sounds like it died. If you plug into it with an Ethernet cable, can you still access it via your Web Browser?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's an old Microsoft router... Haha... It works using the ethernet cable but has no wireless signal.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok this is odd... Now my wireless network is back up... What do you think happened? Could it be the fact my network doesn't have a password? Do routers get viruses?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.