What should I get?

Reaction score
I'm turning 18 on June 11th, and I'm getting a computer for my birthday! I was wondeirng if you guys could give me any advice on what a good Mac to get is? I had a PC, but I've used a Mac in school, and it was just so much better. I don't no much about computers, but I would want ot use it for school work and for using the internet and stuff.

I don't really understand what the prefix is for, but I figured this was the place to come for for advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I'm turning 18 on June 11th, and I'm getting a computer for my birthday! I was wondering if you guys could give me any advice on what a good Mac to get is?

Are you allowed to tell us what Mac you're being given or are planning to buy? Do you want desktop or laptop? Best wishes for 11 June!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Get a 2.4 GHz MacBook and buy Office '08 for Mac. I think you should be covered. If you or anyone else is up to it, you could get an external HD to back-up your files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Matte Macbook Pro 2.5Ghz 4gb RAM 250gb HD, 60gb iPod Classic maxed, iPod shuffle
Depends on how much they are looking to spend haha....go for a macbook pro...they're amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to come!
I'm in a similar boat, I just need to buy one for college/ personal use. I'll be studying programming. Will I need a Macbook or Macbook Pro? I can afford the pro, but I was leaning towards a high end macbook so that I could use the rest of my money for software and an external hard drive. What do y'all think?

Reaction score
programming will be fine on the Macbook, the main difference between that and the Pro is a dedicated GPU. which if you're not going to be running CS3, Maya or some other hardcore graphics/photo software you should be good to go.

like you said, use the extra dough for other things you may need.

Reaction score
i think you should get a macbook 2.4ghz now and add all the upgradeble ram and hardrive as it is pretty cheap considered to what it used to be.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to come!
i think you should get a macbook 2.4ghz now and add all the upgradeble ram and hardrive as it is pretty cheap considered to what it used to be.

what upgrades do you suggest, specifically?

Reaction score
well i mean upgrade the 2gb ram to 4gb ram, and then upgrade the 160gb hd to 250, i brought mine 3 months ago and as in my sig all of that cost me 1600, if u spent 1600 you could get the 4gb ram and 250gb hd with 2.4ghz, so prices have gone down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MBP: 2.26 C2D, 4GB, 160GB
NEVER upgrade RAM or HD from apple. They charge $180 to go from 2GB to 4GB, it costs $75 for 4GB on Newegg. HDs are cheap too. Apple charge $150 to go from 120GB to 250GB. You could find that harddrive for almost half as much elsewhere. You won't really need more than 120 or 160 unless you have a ton of movies and music. You could always get an external too. The only hardware you should upgrade through Apple is the processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.