XP activation question

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed before but I can't seem to locate the thread.

I set up my Imac with a bootcamp partition and installed Windows XP (OEM)
I got VM Fusion and use that to access the bootcamp partition for Windows.
I think I must have activated XP from within Fusion - really can't remember.
All runs well as a VM.
I set it up in bootcamp just in case I need to run Windows natively.
Now when I boot into bootcamp to run windows natively, it is asking to be activated.
Have I done something wrong?
Is it OK just to activate XP for bootcamp, having already activated in Fusion or will that mess up my Fusion install?

Any pointers appreciated.

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
Activating it in Bootcamp will only make it so you have to activate it again in Fusion...

Are you running a beta version of Fusion, and have you installed VMware tools??

It is absolutely nessary that VMware tools is installed. On of the main things it does is prevents windows from asking to be activated every time you switch between bootcamp and Fusion.

OP
N
Reaction score
My Fusion is not a beta version and I have the tools loaded.
Do you think if I activate in bootcamp all would then be OK in both environments or have I a problem because it is an OEM version of XP?

N

Reaction score
No, I had the same issue and had to reinstall VM Ware tools a couple of times before it settled down. Otherwise it was ping-pong activation time.

OP
N
Reaction score
Hi all,
I don't quite understand the VMware tools thing. I have this installed. I have reinstalled it two or three times since and I still can't get into XP via bootcamp.
Is there some setting in the tools which stops all the activation processes? I can't find anything.
I have also noticed, that every time I start up the VM, the drop down menu for the tools says "install tools". Does this mean that every time I close the VM, it deletes the tools?

I can't help thinking that I should have activated XP from within bootcamp and then set up the VM, whereas I am pretty sure I did it in the VM?

I have read a lot about the telephone reactivation from M/soft but I wonder if it will work with an OEM version of XP?

Any help would be appreciated. I am new(ish) to Mac and I really like it but I have programs which are only available for windows.

I can see me selling this Mac if I can't get things working as I want and reverting to my windows box. And that will be a real shame.

Sorry for the long post but I am getting annoyed with myself now.

N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 x 20" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo
Well you need to ask yourself why do you want to windows on a mac?
There are probably equal or better mac versions of what you need on XP.
If you absolutely have to run windows then you need to ask yourself if you need:

(a) Maximum Power for 3D games etc ---- Bootcamp.
(b) Minimum power for other apps --- vmware or parellels or FREE Virtualbox.

If you only have 1 gig of RAM then you should choose (a).

Probably be best running one or the other and not both.
(a) Also requires you to decide when you boot up.
(b) Allows you to run Windows on one desktop space and then run OSX on another desktop space. ie running at the same time in memory. That's why you need at least 2 gig.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.