Bootcamp

Reaction score
How does Bootcamp work? Would it be ready and installed on a new iMac if I was to buy one now?
Also, how do I go about installing Windows XP on the iMac so I can play Windows games?

Reaction score
How does Bootcamp work? Would it be ready and installed on a new iMac if I was to buy one now?
Also, how do I go about installing Windows XP on the iMac so I can play Windows games?

Yes Bootcamp comes pre-installed. You use the Bootcamp Assistant to basically set a side a certain sized partition on your HDD to install which version of Windows you choose.

Once you've installed Windows, you can choose which OS to boot into upon turning on your Mac.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for that!
So I could use a Windows XP install disc that has already been installed on my Dell PC?

Reaction score
Probably can, but be aware that microsoft will check the OS "authenticity" and declare you unable to install it (try it, and see what happens...) If it says you are not authorized to install, then you should be able to pick up a 32bit (not 64 - painful to try to get working) copy of xp or vista, what ever you choose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
It can't be in use by another computer. It also needs to have Service Pack 2 integrated with the install. If you don't have one, theres tutorials to make your own with any XP disc, but I tried that and it didn't work so I ended up installing Vista Ultimate since I had that unused.

Reaction score
Thanks for that!
So I could use a Windows XP install disc that has already been installed on my Dell PC?

Not likely, those install disks are set up specific for the computer they go in and for the hardware they have. In other words, they usually won't work on a different computer.

Reaction score
I plan to install Vista Ultimate also mainly to sync with my Windows Mobile phone (I know) and to use MS applications that are not currently supported by Mac. I was wondering which route would be best VMWare Fusion or Bootcamp. I really like VMWare Fusion, but heard support for USB devices WM6 cellphones wasn't that good and that Bootcamp would be the best route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.