Slipstreaming and/or slimming down Windows XP pre/post installation

Reaction score
Here is the core of my dilemma: I would like to slim down Windows XP to put on a Boot Camp NTFS partition for use with Boot Camp as well as with either Parallels or VMWare Fusion. The only reason I really want to have XP on the machine at all is so I can do a little 2D AutoCAD work as well as access very old legacy Microsoft multimedia/presentation files that probably predate PowerPoint. I'd also like to include Office since it seems unstable in OS X, and retain Internet and printer capability as well. I've done tons of reading regarding this, and it looks like there are two ways to do it.

Option 1 is to use nLite to reduce the bloat and remove unnecessary program/processes on the preinstallation side. From what I understand, however, if you rip something out you end up needing, it becomes nearly impossible to put it back without trying the whole thing again. I'm planning on slipstreaming SP3 into the installation disc if nothing else, and would like a little input on exactly how to install the update 2.1 to Boot Camp to allow XP to run under SP3 since it's an .exe file and Windows isn't installed yet. Do I install it once the partition is built, or in Boot Camp Assistant?

Option 2 is to use the Bold Fortune's method of Slimming Down Windows XP, which seems more through, more customizable, less likely to require a retry, but far more labor intensive.

Has anyone tried either of these methods? If you can walk me through nLite to ensure I maintain the functionality I want, I'd love to hear from you since I'm not entirely sure I've got time to mess with the second option--I'm going somewhere without internet capability so I'd like to get this wrapped up ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Slipstreaming SP3 into your install disk is best done with "Autostreamer" a free application which you can download from here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Autostreamer-Download-13918.html

As far as using nLite is concerned, that's something you've got to decide. Personally I wouldn't use it. It's not going to save you that much real estate anyway and it's been known to cause problems. The "Bold Fortune" method of slimming down XP should be safer. I agree it involves some work though.

Boot Camp 2.1: You DO NOT need to update to 2.1 in order to install XP SP3. I've installed SP3 without using 2.1 and so have many others. Check out the Apple forums. Boot Camp 2.1 primarily resolves some issues users were having installing Vista.

I also do not recommend running XP from both a Boot Camp installation and from Parallels or Fusion using the same Boot Camp installation as a VM. (Choose one or the other but not both.) The reason I don't recommend it is because of activation. Take time to read the notes regarding Windows activation provided by both Parallels and Fusion.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
jkraest,

You may want to reconsider using NTFS for your Windows partition. OS X can't read NTFS (it will in future, but not yet), so you won't be able to transfer files between XP and OS X with Boot Camp if you do that. I'm not sure how it affects XP if you import it into Parallels, if at all. Maybe not...

I used Boot Camp to install XP and did not activate until after I imported it into Parallels. Remember, you have 30 days to activate. If you want to run XP from both Boot Camp and Parallels, you'd need 2 copies installed... I don't know why anyone would do that :)

Also, be careful with using a slipstreamed version of XP... not sure Boot Camp would accept that, but directly into Parallels is probably OK. I'd wait until after you have it installed.

chdcag, Is SP3 worth installing?

Noel

OP
J
Reaction score
chdcag, thanks for AutoStreamer; I'll go ahead and use that and configure XP once it's loaded the way Bold Fortune recommends, unless you think SP3 is a waste of time. I read about the activation issues; that's very good to know. If you were me, which option would you go with, Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion? I'm leaning towards the second since it seems like it'd be less time consuming once it's all set up.

Noels, I found a way to supposedly read and write NTFS with OS X here--is this no longer valid?

Thanks for the input.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
chdcag, thanks for AutoStreamer; I'll go ahead and use that and configure XP once it's loaded the way Bold Fortune recommends, unless you think SP3 is a waste of time. I read about the activation issues; that's very good to know. If you were me, which option would you go with, Boot Camp or Parallels/Fusion? I'm leaning towards the second since it seems like it'd be less time consuming once it's all set up.

Noels, I found a way to supposedly read and write NTFS with OS X here--is this no longer valid?

Thanks for the input.

Hi:

I happen to like Fusion and am using it to run XP SP3 in a VM, however, Parallels as far as I know is just as good. You might wish to download a trial version of both and see which one you like before purchasing. I believe Amazon.com and NewEgg are offering a $20.00 rebate if you purchase Fusion. You might wish to check that out before you decide.

As far as choosing between running XP in a Boot Camp partition natively or from a VM it depends..... If you need the graphics support to run 2D AutoCad and some legacy Windows software then probably installing XP in a Boot Camp partition is best. If you think 2D AutoCad will run OK from a VM maybe that's all you need. IMO, a VM is more convenient since the reboot requirement to run Windows is eliminated.

To NOELS:

A Slipstreamed copy of XP SP3 will install OK to a Boot Camp partition provided it's a full copy, 1 CD or DVD. And as far as SP3 being worth the upgrade, I think it is. It not only gets rid of all the previous security updates and patches by combining them into one service pack but it resolves many minor "issues" that MS never likes to talk about. ;D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
jkraest,

Sorry I wasn't aware of that information concerning NTFS on Mac OS X. But I usually use FAT 32 on my XP installations, so haven't even looked to install with NTFS. I hope it works well for you.

chscg,

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that about SP3. I'll download a copy and install it.

My apologies to you both for not responding earlier, I've been out of touch off and on for personal reasons.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.