3G - can't jailbreak/unlock it?

Reaction score
I heard that Apple lost a lot of money by people hacking/jailbreaking and unlocking the iPhone so they're trying to fix it by making the iPhone unhhackable by a computer or software but that you have to take it apart and connect or do something with wires and the inner software. Is that true? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
They didn't expect the current iPhone to be jailbreakable/hackable to begin with. No matter what they do, someone will find a way around it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Run-on sentence. My English teacher would have a fit. J/K :)

On a side note:
Like lifeisabeach said. Every time someone tries to prevent a hack a new one is made to circumvent it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
mixxey said:
I heard... [...]Is that true?

Since it's not out yet, and no-one outside of Apple knows anything about it yet, I'd say you'll have to wait and see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Just to be clear, Jailbreaking and unlocking are two totally different things. Jailbreaking simply lets you add third party applications to your iPhone. There would be no loss of revenue. Unlocking on the other hand breaks the tie to AT&T so you could use the iPhone on another network. Unlocking costs Apple money because they get monthly kickbacks from AT&T on those contracts. Though they probably will try to tighten security the phone will still have to be able to be unlocked. Once your contract is up AT&T is obligated to unlock whatever phone you have if you request it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Once your contract is up AT&T is obligated to unlock whatever phone you have if you request it.

are they really i never heard of that. thats sweet if its true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Jailbreaking simply lets you add third party applications to your iPhone. There would be no loss of revenue.

There will be loss of revenue when the app store is up. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
I'm willing to bet the hackers will have the 2nd generation iPhone unlocked with in a matter of hours.These people have become very good at hacking the iPhone.

Reaction score
are they really i never heard of that. thats sweet if its true.

Yes its true, same goes with all wireless carriers. The days of exclusive deals between cell phone manufactures and wireless companies is nearing its end. But be prepared to pay full retail cost of phones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Interesting that development team must really keep Apple on there toes.... I guess will be getting the new iPhone the day it comes out.

Reaction score
I'm willing to bet the hackers will have the 2nd generation iPhone unlocked with in a matter of hours.These people have become very good at hacking the iPhone.
They already have, the 'devteam' have firmware 2.0 jailbreaked and unlocked :Evil: ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
8 Gb iPhone/MacBook 2.2 Ghz/G5 iMac/ 8Gb iPod touch
I have read somewhere that the alleged 2.0 firmware is said to be very hackable. I think apple is going to be cramming things in to fix the final 2.0 update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sure those things will be included in the new iPhone. I'm curious to see if it they will have to actually hack the new phone itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
they? who is they "bergsbeer"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Iphone development team.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Im sure they are working with the new one right now. Im also sure they have some sort of team dedicated to try to hack the iPhone so the developers no how to fix it with firmware updates and what not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No doubt,Apple and AT&T saw over a quarter million iphones sold since June 2007 that where never activated with AT&T. I'm sure they don't want a repeat of that this year. IMO AT&T was bad choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imo? sorry not familiar with that term.
But yeah Apple Im sure has fixed it i think they should set up a Bricker in the new iTunes if it jail-broken or hacked BRICKED! easy solution follow the rules

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Imo? sorry not familiar with that term.
But yeah Apple Im sure has fixed it i think they should set up a Bricker in the new iTunes if it jail-broken or hacked BRICKED! easy solution follow the rules

Actually that wouldn't even help. The dev team made a program that essentially "patches" the firmware file and then you load the patched firmware onto your phone via iTunes. So, it was much different than a typical hack in that sense. iTunes had safeguards for keeping "patched" firmware from being allowed to load via iTunes, but they broke those safeguards, probably without breaking a sweat.

There's guys out there working on the dev team as smart or smarter than the guys who actually made the software, so it will always get hacked sooner or later. It's a never-ending cat and mouse game.

As for the 250,000 phones that never activated to AT&T, I'm sure apple secretly doesn't care much. They got all the revenue they were going to get from the iPhones activated and their slice of the monthly AT&T bills. The revenue from the people who wouldn't have bought it if they couldn't unlock it is just a bonus for Apple in both sales revenue and increased exposure. (real life product exposure to consumers and word of mouth advertising is the best way to sell your product)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.