Airport Express client mode - audio/printing only?

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade to a Macbook soon and as part of the want to be a bit more portable (hence going from iMac to Macbook), I was thinking an airport express would be brilliant so I dont have to have the Macbook next to my hifi for listening to music.

However, I'm in a shared flat with shared wireless internet. I know you can plug the router through the express so you can connect to both the internet and use the express to send music, but this wouldnt be possible.

So, I've seen that the express can be set to 'client' mode which sounds like it will mean you can access internet and music/printing at the same time (i.e. the express doesnt actually handle the internet)....is this true? If not, are there any other ways of being able to connect to both an internet router and the express for music/printing?

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
You could add the express to your existing network wirelessly - ie, stick it next to your hifi or printer and it will join the network, so you are connected to both the router with the internet and the airport express for music etc. 2 bases, one network. Worked fine for me.

OP
S
Reaction score
Brilliant, yeah thats what I was after, that sounds like the description of client mode....just wanted someone to verify it!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.