Greedy Time Capsule security

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Black MacBook | 2.2GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 160GB HDD
I live in a share accommodation with other Mac users, and want to buy my own Time Capsule for backing up my MacBook and for wirelessly routing the internet etc. I am just wondering, is there a way I can secure the Time Capsule, so that other people can't use it for their own backup??

I'm happy for them to use wireless internet through the Time Capsule, as we are all paying for the internet. But I don't want random people backing up their data on my Time Capsule! (Or looking at my backups either!)

Not being greedy.... but I don't really even know these people! Haha ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Yup. You can set a password for the disk access. Me and my boyfriend have separate logins for the TC with a shared bit as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Simms,

Another option is to use a small (maybe 320-500GB) USB powered external hard drive that you can literally unplug and stow away where it's safe, maybe in your brief case. Then also use it at home by partitioning it for dual use.I use a 320GB WD Passport and it's really compact and doesn't require anything more than the small USB cable that comes with it. It does the job well with either Time Machine or SuperDuper.

Just a thought!

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.