When you buy a new Mac...

Reaction score
I understand Apple will ship it out with apps like iLife preinstalled. I do want to swap out the HDD, but wanted to know if new systems include install discs for pre-loaded software, or if not whether Apple provides a way to re-download them.

OP
D
Reaction score
Why would you swap out the HDD? Just wondering.

A few reasonable scenarios come to mind:

1. You don't want to pay the inflated all manufacturers charge for upgrades when you order BTO.

2. You use up the space and want a bigger/faster drive.

3. Your drive fails and needs to be replaced and you'd rather do the job yourself.

The last two may happen years down the road, but even then I imagine I'd still want access to the iLife suite and other preinstalled software purchased.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i would imagine that they would send the disks if not i wouldnt see why anybody would want to get them pre-installed.

if you are planning on swapping hard drives you can use superduper to clone your old hard drive to a new one. i just did that yesterday when i swapped hard drives and it made the process very easy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Yes, Apple ships their computers with the system disks, whether you buy a new machine or refurbished.

OP
D
Reaction score
Sanity - ghosting a drive is a great idea, I might just do that as soon as I get my system.

John, thanks for the confirmation. Not to be dense, but when you say system discs, you mean more than just OS X right? If I buy a Mac and select Aperture 2, it and iLife will come preinstalled, and I'll get installer CDs for OS X, iLife, and Aperture 2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP : 2.4GHz : 2GB RAM : 256MB VRAM : 160GB HDD
OS X, iLife and few other things (Comic Life, etc.) all come on a pair of discs. You can choose what to install once the discs are inserted (so they're not the same discs you'd get if you bought the software separately).

I don't know, but strongly imagine that any additional software you buy at the same time (Aperture or whatever) will come in retail boxes, and not pre-installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.