Problems with Vista Install/Can't Find File!

Reaction score
I am need of some desperate help. I have been trying to install Windows Home Premium Vista on my MacBook Pro for about 2 months now. I create a 60GB partition and start the installation according to Apple's Boot Camp guide.

Windows eventually starts up and asks for basic info like what language I want. After this it goes to a screen where it says "Install Now". It takes me to a screen where I enter the product key. I do so then a couple seconds later it comes up with an error message that states that it cannot retrieve a "install.wim" file and closes installation.

I checked the cd, and it is there where it is supposed to be. I am curious because maybe it has to do with not asking me what partition I want to put Windows on, I don't know! I need some help! Thanks

-AK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The 2 most common causes of this problem are:
1. Faulty disc
2. DVD ROM firmware out of date

As you have a reasonably new MBP and others have successfully installed Vista on the same version MBP I'd suggest that you may have a faulty disc. Worth getting it exchanged and re-trying.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Would I call Windows about this or would I try to return it to where I bought it? (Best Buy)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I'd call Microsoft as a first call

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok, thanks! Would I call Windows about this or would I try to return it to where I bought it? (Best Buy)

Take it back to Best Buy first before calling Microsoft. Best Buy will exchange opened software or operating system disks for a like copy if they prove to be defective. They will not, however, issue a refund.

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Awesome, well I tried exchanging it at Best Buy, but it has been deleted from their inventory. So once I got home I called Microsoft and they will be sending me a new disc here in 3-5 business days! Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.