• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Comcast Deal-->>What do you think???

Reaction score
OK, so here's the offer I just received from Comcast for my new apartment. Tell me what you think. The monthly price is $79.93, and it includes 182 digital channels, over 90 HD channels, 10 HBO channels, and their broadband internet as well. The installation charges will be $19.99 for cable and 29.95 for the internet. The price (they say) is only for 6 months, but I have heard online that if I call them and tell them that I can get a better deal from a satellite company, they usually let me keep it.

So what do you guys think? Should I take the deal? It is definitely the best offer I have received from satellite or cable. I know most people hate Comcast, but I am a college student (graduating in December, going to Grad school) and I need to save money. Do they really let you keep the price? What's your experience with Comcast?

Thanks for any help,
Wayne

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i like comcast, i'm just not so sure they're that easy to scam, at least more than once.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If you had another choice, I would say avoid Comcast. Since you most likely do not it's not a bad deal and is roughly the same as I have with Time-Warner.

I say avoid Comcast because I have read very few positive things about them. They are the leader in bandwidth throttling and packet shaping to the detriment of their paying customers all while promising the moon to those same customers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D MacBook Pro
Pretty much all cable companies suck.

Sounds like a good deal though. And baggss is right, you probably don't have a choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, High Res, 2GB Ram, 2.4Ghz processor Core 2 Duo
40£. not bad i'd take it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
if you think its a scam why dont you just look in your local phone book and call your nearest comcast office. they would definitely be the ones to know if it is real or not. i think its a good deal. i actually think my parents have that deal right now and we dont have any problems as of yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm paying about $90/month for Time Warner's cable/internet package. Its a decent price, as long as you can put up with Comcast's crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Sounds like a decent deal. My satellite deal right now is 5 theme packs and 37 HD channels. Totals to....well...a lot of channels, probably over 400. $76.09 per month... but it's unreliable as heck. it seems like even the lightest rain make the signal go out. they've said they're working on the network, but somehow I doubt that.

Reaction score
Dont totally jump in at the teaser price. It really skyrockets after the six months is over.

And they can be easy to scam, but I dont know to that extent. My roommate would complain to them about their service and we still get free HBO because of it. But thats about it.

I have had them for a while now, the internet is fine, but frankly, I dont like them. I would say check out your options. I enjoyed directv much more, and I really dont even watch the tv that I pay for (other than some sports games) because I just dont like dealing with it. Its just terrible, the interface is slow and annoying, and there is ADVERTISEMENTS on the guide! Not only is it slow, but you actually have to click through the advertisements as if they are channels. So it takes longer to get to what you want to watch.

Also, to top it off, I have been to there building in our area, and been on the phone with them many times, customer service and friendliness is just plain bad. Really unpleasant every time for me. I remember once, on of their reps told me in person that I should consider another service provider. Wow

Like I said before, my vote is check your options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I said No. I had Comcast Internet. After the 6 month rate of $40 it was jacked to $65. I think basic cable in the city is $50 a month. That rate doesn't include tax, and modem/ cable box fees, does it? I'd never go back if I can.

I switch to RCN when I moved into the city. I pay $80 with tax and cable/ box rental fees ($16 a month for both) for Internet and SD/HD cable. Family in the burbs pay $120 easily for same Comcast bundle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive
Why need cable these days, with hulu and other sites with TV, all you really need is a computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why need cable these days, with hulu and other sites with TV, all you really need is a computer.

With a 52 inch screen....:Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I've got a 50" screen, do I still qualify? ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.