Sharing iPhoto Libraries - Connection Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 1GB RAM 2.4 Ghz Intel iMac
Hello-

I recently switched the household over to Mac picking up an iMac for myself and a Mac Book for my wife. Most of our photos are now on my iMac and my wife needs access to them. I have sharing setup in my preferences and I learned how to directly share the Pictures folder without moving it into the public folder using "The Missing Manual" book I also picked up. We tested it and eureka, she was able to get into my photo libraries.

The problem I'm having now is that if I close iPhoto, it disconnects my wife until I reopen the app. I can't seem to find an option that will allow her to access the libraries regardless if I have iPhoto open or not. Is this possible?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Losh

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bump

Bumping my own thread... still can't seem to figure this out and it's driving my wife nuts not to be able to get into my photos which is in turn driving me nuts.

When she clicks on my iMac in the finder, she can see my photos folder which she then clicks on to get to the photo library folder but the library doesn't show up. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Well, if you want the pictures to stay in iPhoto, copy the library across, and hold down the option key when you click on iPhoto and choose select library (more info here). This is not an ideal process I know.

The other option is to extract the contents of the library which will always be accessible.

I'm sorry that these solutions are not great, but they are the best I can suggest.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
re:

Appreciate the input. As I recall when I moved the photos over from my old PC, they were immediately loaded into iPhoto which I'm not learning does not have the same directory/file setup you see with Windows. (e.g. just a bunch of directories with my photo files in them) If I had known that I would have probably approached it differently because I would prefer to have my photos available that way vs. embedded in iPhoto.

If I go through the process of extracting all of my photos (12k + in the library) then am I essentially going to have duplicate info on my hard drive and eat up a whole lot of space?

Thanks!

Losh

Reaction score
Yes, I'm afraid that you are. The only other option after that would be to Export from the File menu each time you import from a camera.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
re:

Ugh... :|

So not only would I have to double up all of my photos by exporting the library, I would have to do double duty each time I import from my camera? Is is it possible to just move the image files onto my hard drive without importing them into iPhoto?

Again, many thanks for the help!!

Losh

Reaction score
Ugh... :|

So not only would I have to double up all of my photos by exporting the library, I would have to do double duty each time I import from my camera? Is is it possible to just move the image files onto my hard drive without importing them into iPhoto?

Again, many thanks for the help!!

Losh

Depending on your camera, the camera should show in the finder as a removable device. You could then navigate to the images and copy and paste them anywhere on your mac or to a shared folder where they could be accessed from a second mac.
Also if you right-lick on your IPhoto Library you get an option called 'Show packet content'. Choose that and you are able to browse inside your Library. You will be able to copy pictures and see how nicely Iphoto sorts your pics ;P
Do not alter delete files any of the files.:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.