• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Looking for a new TV

Reaction score
Hey all.

So I'm looking to get a new LCD TV...

32" or 37", preferably 1080p.

I'll be using this for watching television (of course), and playing games through my Xbox 360.

What TV's do you guy recommend that have good reliability and quality.

I've heard good things on Sony and Samsung, and every TV I've ever had has been a Sony and it's been nice, but if their is something better or whatever, please let me know.

I'm looking to spend somewhere around $1,000. Give a few hundred or so.

Thanks.
-AC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I only know of one 32" 1080p TV. I noticed no resolution difference of a 720p and 1080p 40" TV's. It was the same exact Samsung model, just different resolutions. I read it's unnoticeable to most people 42" and less.

I like Samsung. My TV has a super high contrast ratio. It looks amazing and wouldn't trade for anything but the 40" model. It is now discontinued so giving you a part # is useless. It's the one with the rounded bottom and piano black glossy finish like the PS3. It cost $850 new and it is the 32" model.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My one suggestion is to stick with name brands ... Sony, Toshiba, Hitachi, Panasonic, etc. ... The off brands - make sure you buy the extended warranty as they do not produce the necessary parts for them to be repaired once your warranty is up ... They are sometimes referred to as "throw away" TV's. Among these are Westinghouse, Polaroid, Magnavox, Element, and pretty much every other brand in the lower price range.

I have owned a total of 6 HD sets so far - 26", 32", 37", 55" all at 720p and a single 65" at 1080p.
I do tend to watch most of my HD DVD and B-R movies on the 1080p set. But, am not disappointed when I watch them on the 55", nor in any of the 720p sets. I would agree with bry, in the size you're looking at, 1080p is not a necessity and imho, not worth a premium in price of over 10%.

More important than 720 vs 1080 may be the number of HDMI inputs available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I've owned a Westinghouse 42" for a few years now and it's great. I recommended it to my friend who then purchased a 32" and loves it. Highly recommended:

Link to NewEgg.com - Westinghouse TVs

OP
AConfire
Reaction score
Thanks for all your helpful replies guys :)

Thank you bobtomay, I appreciate your help.

Thanks all.

I'll be looking at Sony and Samsung this weekend at my local Circuit City. 32" or 37" and either 720p or 1080p.

To be honest, for me, 720 vs 1080 isn't a big deal. The person who want's to get it for me assumes that it's better to go with 1080p, but oh well.

Once again,
Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook / Mac Mini
I bought a Sony Bravia 32S300 last year, it's 720p / 1080i.

In the shop I compared it to some 1080p TV's in the same size, running a Blueray movie. I was not able to spot any difference.

The Sony's has plenty of HDMI ports, and the work beautifully with Macs, have a Mac Mini connected to mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
there was something called OLEVIA, it was a low priced, good quality TV, unsure of the sizes, although, i don't know what could be wrong with it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Lots of HDMI ports is a good thing. I thought 3 would be plenty but it wasn't. They're all used up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Olevia is another of the throw away brands.

Just to clear matters a little and in reference to surfwax'x comments on the Westinghouse - many of these throw away brands are fine TV's. Have owned a Polaroid myself and have recommended these to friends on occasion when immediate price was of primary concern. They may last for several years. You just should have the knowledge, that with any of these, if they break 2 days outside their standard 12 month warranty, you may be buying a new TV since there are typically no parts for repair.

The Polaroid went out after 10 months btw, and couldn't be repaired - no parts. No biggie, had the extended warranty from CC. Prices had dropped during that time and ended up with a Sony at the original price of the Polaroid..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
I heard great things about OLEVIA

before and after they reviewed it on Attack of the Show. ATTACK FTW!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.