Setup Questions

Reaction score
I may get a Mac Mini to use with an extra monitor, keyboard, mouse. Couldn't find answers in "search". I don't do wireless.

1. Can I run the Mini thru my Belkin Surge protector?

2. Can I connect online with the Mini thru my ATT DSL Modem? (Siemens Speedstream 4100)

3. Can I use any old router and run both the Mini and my XP on that same DSL modem?

4. Do I need to add any software/hardware to connect via DSL? If so what? My impression is the Mini must have a 56K dialup modem built in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
1. Your surge protector is like an extension cord right? If so, yes you should be fine.

2. Are we talking about broadband? If so, it should be fine.

3. Pretty much. Might be worth considering Airport ;)

4. If you are connecting via a router to broadband you shouldn't need a dial up modem at all. Depending on your ISP you might have an install disk or whatever, but if you've set everything up with your PC and the router you can probably just connect and go.

OP
F
Reaction score
1. The Surge protector is a Belkin about a foot square and 2 inches thick - the monitor sits on it -its got 6 switches (master, monitor, computer, printer, aux1, aux2). Off hand I can't see a problem unless MAC has some outlandish feature in that regard.

4. I use ATT DSL. There is a setup disk and I yust lookt at it (forgot I had it) and it says for Macintosh: Min system requirements "Mac OS 9.x - OS X (excluding 10.00 - 10.04)"

I spose from that it won't work for 10.x and up. Right?
But maybe I can download an updated driver - Nope!
It looks like the 4100 won't work with Safari and therefore Leopard (OS 10.xx?) etc and there may be a workaround etc etc and spend even more $ etc.

Looks like I'm done here.

Thanx.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It means it doesn't work with 10.00 to 10.04. Which almost nobody will be running. 10.0 would be the original release of OS X, which was followed by 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 (Leopard)... kinda like Windows 95 and 98.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
http://forums.macosxhints.com/showthread.php?p=456424 your modem will work with firefox 2 (I think that's what this is saying) but it won't work with safari 3, it does work with leopard.

also this might help you to figure settings... http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-63498.html

I don't think you need built in dial up but maybe you could check with your isp.

3. Can I use any old router and run both the Mini and my XP on that same DSL modem?
You should also check with your isp about whether that is ok... it shouldn't be a problem, but one company I was with wanted to charge me extra to do that (the one I'm with now doesn't care)

OP
F
Reaction score
My impression was (perhaps rong) that the mini included a dial up 56k modem and if you used anything else it required making some change. Personally I'd strangle myself B4 going back to a dial up. I daytraded with dial up as it was the only thing available. I was the first cable customer when it came available.....nuff said

My thrashing on google which turned up some posts elsewhere on this forum and other places convinces me I'd need to obtain a router and modem both compatable with Mac and PC and that my Siemens 4100 modem isn't.

Part of my problem is, of course, unfamiliarity with Mac jargon. At this point its about 99% that I'll stick with XP till it collapses from old age at which time Leopard will have changed its spots and I'll make the switch then. But there is that 1% to go and I'll follow it up. :)

Thanx

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My impression was (perhaps rong) that the mini included a dial up 56k modem and if you used anything else it required making some change. Personally I'd strangle myself B4 going back to a dial up. I daytraded with dial up as it was the only thing available. I was the first cable customer when it came available.....nuff said

The Mac Mini comes with an Ethernet adapter which should be universally compatible with any broadband (high speed internet) solution, period. I don't believe any current Apple product has an integrated dial-up modem.

My thrashing on google which turned up some posts elsewhere on this forum and other places convinces me I'd need to obtain a router and modem both compatable with Mac and PC and that my Siemens 4100 modem isn't.

If your modem has an Ethernet port it should be fine. Having a router will make it even easier. I have yet to encounter a router that isn't "Mac compatible", even if it isn't labeled that way. Some manufacturers don't label their products "Mac compatible" because they don't have in-house expertise on Macs.

Part of my problem is, of course, unfamiliarity with Mac jargon. At this point its about 99% that I'll stick with XP till it collapses from old age at which time Leopard will have changed its spots and I'll make the switch then. But there is that 1% to go and I'll follow it up. :)

Thanx

Being that most of your assumptions are incorrect, I'd suggest you reconsider. Modern Macs are really just PCs under the skin - it's just that they run a different OS. Most hardware (particularly networking gear, since it's usually made to IEEE standards that are universally compatible) can usually be made to work with a Mac.

OP
F
Reaction score
"Being that most of your assumptions are incorrect, I'd suggest you reconsider."

Well I certainly am/will/have. Thank you all for showing me the true path :)
=========================
"your modem will work with firefox 2"

I hate Firefox with a passion that know no bounds! Prolly have to bite the bullet on that one. Can hardly sit still even thinkng about it. This is going to require some serious drinking.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
"Being that most of your assumptions are incorrect, I'd suggest you reconsider."

Well I certainly am/will/have. Thank you all for showing me the true path :)
=========================
"your modem will work with firefox 2"

I hate Firefox with a passion that know no bounds! Prolly have to bite the bullet on that one. Can hardly sit still even thinkng about it. This is going to require some serious drinking.

You certainly don't have to use Firefox. Apple's Safari is a decent browser in its own right, although I personally prefer Firefox to it. What were you using before, IE? If it was something other than IE, chances are there's a Mac version.

OP
F
Reaction score
My whole object in a mini was that I could use my old mouse and keyboard. Well looking at a pic on this Apple site http://www.apple.com/macmini/ - hmmmmm - can't see where they might plug in. Where do they plug in?

Might add I do not have or want optical or wireless stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, don't quite understand why you would buy a computer specifically so you could use your old keyboard and mouse. They would plug into the USB ports, or connect via bluetooth. It does not have the old style ports.

I don't think I've seen an optical keyboard, so you should be safe there.

If you want a new computer, or a mac at all, you might want to consider a new keyboard or mouse. Or buy a dell or something.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it shouldn't be hard to find a ps/2 to usb adapter.

you will have to deal with non-mac keys if your old keyboard is a standard windows one.

Reaction score
I have to agree with the above, I don't see why you'd want to keep your old mouse if it isn't optical or USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Especially when you can pick em up so cheap these days.

OP
F
Reaction score
"I have to agree with the above, I don't see why you'd want to keep your old mouse if it isn't optical or USB."

Well it fits my fingers and I drove truck about 2 milyn miles with a gear lever(s) in my hand and I just cannot stand something in my palm for more than a few seconds. 10-4? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"I have to agree with the above, I don't see why you'd want to keep your old mouse if it isn't optical or USB."

Well it fits my fingers and I drove truck about 2 milyn miles with a gear lever(s) in my hand and I just cannot stand something in my palm for more than a few seconds. 10-4? :)

Have you tried a trackball? Nice and finger friendly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.