Kenwood Excelon DNX8120

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using there iPhone with either the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 or any other brand bluetooth touch screen in car stereo?

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using there iPhone with either the Kenwood Excelon DNX8120 or any other brand bluetooth touch screen in car stereo?

Yes. I have the DNX8120 in my car. First of all, in order to use your iPhone bluetooth feature you must turn your WIFI OFF. This prevents interference.

Bluetooth audio for music transfer is not compatible with iPhone. You can transfer music via a cable made by kenwood; Model KCAiP300v, which will work for audio only, not video.

Also, Bluetooth display of the SMS messaging system on the DNX8120 is not compatible with the iPhone.

Lastly, the mic should be placed directly in front of the driver up by the headliner. An echo may occur if placed behind the rear view mirror. For best audio, a piece of cloth on the mic.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Thanks man for the tip on the cloth on the mic, I cant remember what ipod cable i got from Kenwood (it was expensive for a piece of cable) but i get both video and music

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Yes. I have the DNX8120 in my car. First of all, in order to use your iPhone bluetooth feature you must turn your WIFI OFF. This prevents interference.

Bluetooth audio for music transfer is not compatible with iPhone. You can transfer music via a cable made by kenwood; Model KCAiP300v, which will work for audio only, not video.

Also, Bluetooth display of the SMS messaging system on the DNX8120 is not compatible with the iPhone.

Lastly, the mic should be placed directly in front of the driver up by the headliner. An echo may occur if placed behind the rear view mirror. For best audio, a piece of cloth on the mic.
I tried the cloth on the mic but my wife still says it is difficult to here what I am saying

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems hearing what people say with the hands free setup

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my iPhone and the DNX8120. I can hear the other party without any problems, but I've been told that my voice is very distorted. I've tried turning off WiFi on the iPhone, and I've tried pairing/re-pairing different ways, but I can't fix the problem. The problem does not occur when using a different phone with the DNX8120, so there must be some incompatibility with the iPhone.

OP
ndwgolf
Reaction score
OK here is the deal, the Blackberry works great, it is Crystal clear and the phone book etc sync's ok as well.
I have now got two sim cards with the same number, I will use the Blackberry in the car as a hands free device and use the iPhone as my walk around phone.
it is so far working great!!!!!!!

Reaction score
I read in another forum that if you hit the button to switch the call to the iPhone and then switch it back to the DNX8120, the distortion goes away. I tried it, and it works. Not sure why doing that fixes the problem, but it's a workaround until Kenwood releases an update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.