Adding a Printer - HP Photosmart 1115

Reaction score
New to Macs, used to do pretty well with Windows XP. I know that Macs are easy to learn, and I'm trying, but I'm baffled. I have a new iMac with OS X and the 3.6 duo processor. I just got it, and am trying to install my printer. I connected the printer, powered it up, and attempted to install the drivers. OS X does not have them preinstalled. I downloaded the newest one from the HP site, but the iMac doesn't seem to know that. I located the driver in the download box, and clicked on it. I went thru the motions, and it successfully loaded. (Not). When I try to print from my email, it can't find the printer or when I prompt it, no drivers. After reading here, I found the utilities section and then the HP folder. I got it to print a test page, but nothing else. It still can't find the drivers. I'm this close, and can't get it to work. Any assistance would be very appreciated. Be very specific, as I can follow directions, but don't assume I know where anything is, or how to make it work as even the simplest tasks can confound me. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP
N
Reaction score
How would I know if I have leopard? That is the link I used to download the driver. When it searches for the driver, it doesn't seem to find it, nor can I direct it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
NilesL,

Click on the apple at the upper left end of your menu bar, then on "About This Mac." If it says "Mac OS X, version 10.5" there (or higher), you have Leopard.

Noel

OP
N
Reaction score
It says 10.5.2. Could that be the reason I can't get the printer to work? It will print a test page, but as I work with it it might have a connectivity problem. When trying to print it says something like: Connecting; generic something, but never connects (or prints), it just hangs there. I did get a new printer with the iMac but have almost new ink cartridges in the HP, and the printer still (used to with my PC) work pretty well.If I can't get it going soon, I'll try the new one, its an HP all in one. Thanks, I'll still try any advice. N

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep that will be it. Manufacturer has yet to release a Leopard compatible driver, and at this stage probably won't if not done so by now. Lexmark, Canon, Brother , Epson have all released Leopard drivers. Did you install Leopard, and if so did you install the printer drivers in the options pack?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Did you happen to open the downloaded file directly, as in the dmg file and then run the actual installer package from the "mounted" volume ?

OP
N
Reaction score
I was't ignoring the response, Memorial day travel with family, then work catch up, ect. I did download both the installer and the drivers. No luck. I decided to abandon the idea for now, ( I can't go without a printer) and install the printer ( HP C 2480) that was thrown in when I bought the mac. It installed easily and is working. There was a glitch in the install, something wasn't recognized, and after trying a reinstall, same problem. The printer works, and the pop up message about what ever didn't install while annoying, can be fixed when I get a minute to play with it. Thanks everyone who responded.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.