Questions about Boot Camp (Leopard)

Reaction score
This may be a very stupid question, but I printed out all the instructions for Boot Camp (I plan on installing XP to play some games), and at the very beginning it insists that I back up all of my data before using Boot Camp.

Now. . . erm . . . what exactly does that mean?

Thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This may be a very stupid question, but I printed out all the instructions for Boot Camp (I plan on installing XP to play some games), and at the very beginning it insists that I back up all of my data before using Boot Camp.

Now. . . erm . . . what exactly does that mean?

Thanks

It means that you should create a backup of your system in the event there is a problem repartitioning your hard drive. The best way to do this is to purchase an external hard drive equal to or greater than the size of your internal hard drive. Then use Time Machine or another program like SuperDuper to create a full backup.

OP
K
Reaction score
Do I have to be a .Mac member to use Time Machine? I have a large External that would work wonderfully (250 GB).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do I have to be a .Mac member to use Time Machine? I have a large External that would work wonderfully (250 GB).

No, it's built into Leopard (OS X 10.5). You simply need to enable it in System Preferences and specify your drive (of course, it needs to be formatted HFS+, the Mac's native filesystem in order for Time Machine to recognize it).

OP
K
Reaction score
I think I formatted it to a Mac when I first purchased and used it for the first time. Thanks so much for all of your help and I may come back with another question pending the progress.

OP
K
Reaction score
OK Another Question:

I backed up my machine with time machine, I partitioned my Hard-drive, and I was just about to start installation when I read something that made my heart stop: SP2 or later for XP.

I have XP Pro version 2002. Anyway around this?

OP
K
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I have been reading up on Slipstreaming SP2 (our windows PC's all have SP2 updated on them). I am not 100% if the discs I have are SP2 or not, is there an easy way to check?

Reaction score
SP2 was initially released in August 2004. If your disk(s) are literally from 2002, they are not SP2. You really need to have (for boot camp) Windows XP2 SP2 one one disk. Search the forum and you will see many posts on the subject.

Good luck

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.